tank mate

• tigerman
  • tigerman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

tigerman created the topic: tank mate

i am asking this as i know that my tank is empty at the moment as i am just setting it up and there will be 1 oscar in it when its ready.

well the reason is that i have been offered a synodontis eupterus ( some sort of catfish)
he is fully grown and 8 inches long he belongs to the guy i brought the 205 off and he says i can have him for free.

now would this fish be ok in a tank with a oscar.(93 gallon tank 1 ,3 or 4 inch oscar and him)
just the two of them would be in there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:tank mate

Have a look in the gallery, you will see one of those catfish in there. I have two of them, both around 5 1/2 to 6 inches long. You will have to post a picture of him, but if it is similar to the ones I have got, that is about as big as they get. They are really nice addition to the tank, they are not very messy fish which has the great advantage when keeping Oscars. The only drawback with these type of fish is they are nocturnal and they don't really do much during the day. If you turn the lights off and observed from a distance, you will see them come out straight away and start swimming around the tank looking for food, this is the time to feed these fish. If you try feeding them during the day, the chances are they won't feed, especially if you have given them somewhere to hide which is a very good idea. One of mine lives in the great big pot, the other one lives under some wood. Some people say that you should keep these in groups, I disagree, I have two and they don't like each other at all, they never spent any time together, they keep themselves to themselves.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• tigerman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

tigerman replied the topic: Re:tank mate

:) yes just been over to the gallery i missed that part of the site until you mentioned it.
yes thats the same as the one in there and thats great then i will have to get him as soon as my tank is finished.

what is the plant pot made out of in your tank.?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

It is just a normal clay pot as far as I know. It is glazed. You just have to be careful that you don't buy those ones that have got very sharp jagged edges

• tigerman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

tigerman replied the topic: Re:tank mate

yes well i have got a plant pot made from clay in there.

yes i will get a photo as soon as i get him the guy is itching to remove it from his tank but i have manged to talk him in to holding on to it until my tank is ready for it.

also can you put angel fish in there with the oscar.?

just trying to see whats best to go in with a oscar.

i am going to get 2 angel fish in the future but not sure if they could go in with the oscar.
if not then i will see if the wife would let me get an other tank for one of the other rooms.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I would avoid angelfish. They are quite delicate and would not be able to defend themselves from an Oscar very well. They could quite easily become a fatality.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds