new to oscars

• fishrenter
  • fishrenter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

fishrenter created the topic: new to oscars

Hi. I'm not new to big cichlids, but I am new to oscars. I'm getting ready to free-up my 60X18X20 tank and I want to raise a big ole puppy dog-like oscar in it. I have some of those red-finned silver dollars (6) and I may add some clown loaches. I have a grown bristlenose pleco in there.

Do the clown loaches make okay tankmates for the oscars?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:new to oscars

Clown Loach make a very good tank mate. A few things to bear in mind. CL's like to be in groups. You shouldn't keep one on its own, they will probably get stressed if you do. If you do introduce clown Loach in with your Oscars, try and find some that are reasonably big because they will grow a lot slower than Oscars. Roughly, they probably grow around 1 inch every six months. They can also reach a maximum size of over 12 inches, although there will take a very very long time to reach this size. If you have six silver dollars and you are planning an Oscar, I really don't think you have any room for more fish

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• fishrenter
  • fishrenter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

fishrenter replied the topic: Re:new to oscars

I wuz gonna ditch the silver dollars if I got the clown loaches. I haven't really decided yet on what to do. Thanks for the reply.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:new to oscars

I would have Clown loach over silver dollars any day. They are absolutely adorable fish. They're the sort of fish that you would really like to give her a hug. Yes, I know I'm weird. However, you have to remember that Clown loach come from the other side of the world to Oscars were silver dollars live in the same sort of waters so if you want to be authentic then silver dollars probably would be the best option because their water requirements would be much the same as an Oscar.

• Thank you received: 0

gemmababes replied the topic: Re:new to oscars

i put my clown loach in my tank with my 2 oscars and it ataccked it ! i dont think it is a gwd idea 2 be honnest with u if they are about 4 inches then yes

Gemma Louise

gemmababes replied the topic: my oscars ill plz help !!!!

i love my oscars 2 bits sooo much i did get rid of them this week and had them back 2 days l8er i was missing them sooo much :( glad i got them bk but 1 of my oscars is gone bad and wont eat and wen they were away 1 of the fish in the tank with them attacked my pink oscar and he looks now really bad but getting a bit better :) plzz help !!!!

Gemma Louise

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:my oscars ill plz help !!!!

Make sure that your water is very good condition. This will help heal any injuries. If you water is in poor condition, injuries won't heal as fast, they might even get infected. You might also want to try melafix if they are particularly bad. However, you'll be amazed at how well Oscars clean up so don't be too quick to pile medication into the tank. As for the Oscar not eating, this is probably the most common problem. In many circumstances, we just don't know why they do it. Once again, make sure your water is in excellent condition. If fish live in a poor environment, they won't want to eat.

gemmababes replied the topic: thank u

thank u for the advice i will make sure tat the water condition is good thank u:)

Gemma Louise

gemmababes replied the topic: is sand ok with oscars

my muva has taken out the gravel in my tank and i would lk 2 put sand in there with my oscars would the sand be fine with my oscars ???? and is the sand easy 2 clean ???
love gems xxxxxxxxxxxx

Gemma Louise

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:is sand ok with oscars

I think sand is great. It is a little more to what the Oscar would find its own environment. Your tank will be better off with sand in my opinion. It is far easier to clean than gravel. Follow the link below and you will see a video on how to clean sand

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=30

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds