Pleco Suggestions?

• Joliet Jake
  • Joliet Jake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joliet Jake created the topic: Pleco Suggestions?

I want to add a Pleco to my Oscar tank and hear that many varieties reach almost two feet in length, while some others stay much smaller. Can anyone recommend some of the smaller ones by name so I can watch for them?
I visited the Pleco website and see many that go by Numbers (such as L109 etc) but that tells me nothing.:blink:

I also read somewhere that some Plecos are in fact meat eaters and that would probably be better in a Oscar tank too, correct?

I'm looking to add one Pleco in with two Oscars. Are there other smaller growing scavenger catfish that would be good tankmates?

Ken, 51, NJ-USA (2 Tiger Oscars)
Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Pleco Suggestions?

You already know my feelings about pleco. Anyway, I would avoid getting these sort of fish. Yes, some of them are very good-looking fish and don't get to the size of the big ones. However, they are still very messy, some also cost a lot of money. I quite like the various catfish that you can get. Some of them only reach around 8 inches so are perfect. They aren't very messy which is a huge bonus. The only drawback is they aren't very active during the day. You should give them a hiding place so they don't get stressed. Pictus catfish are also a good choice. They only reach around 5 inches. If you keep them in groups, they will be more active and you will see them more.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Joliet Jake
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:Pleco Suggestions?

Oscarfishlover wrote:

I quite like the various catfish that you can get. Some of them only reach around 8 inches so are perfect. They aren't very messy which is a huge bonus. The only drawback is they aren't very active during the day. You should give them a hiding place so they don't get stressed. Pictus catfish are also a good choice. They only reach around 5 inches. .

I posted here about Plecos before I read your other post in the Welcome section. I willl avoid the Pleco idea altogether I think. However above you made a mention of catfish, but you didnt' suggest a strain or variety. Do you have something specific in mind? I was thinking of only one fish unless they are smaller and do better in groups of 2-3. There will be hiding places. I really am thinking of only one bottom dweller though. Suggestions?

Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

There are various types of syndontis catfish that you can get. I have got one variety that reaches around six or 7 inches. I have got two of them and have had them for around three years. There are various types you can get. I think the majority of them are African so you have to bear that in mind because Oscars come from South America. Here's a Web site that lists of you. If you look on the left hand menu, you will see African catfish. I haven't looked at any other catfish, there might be others there that will be suitable. It will give you the size they reach and other useful information about them I have already mentioned pictus catfish. These are quite sweet if kept in small groups. If you do buy them, I get them as adults, not tiny juveniles

http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/african-catfish/lace-synodontis/100136.asp

• Joliet Jake
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:Pleco Suggestions?

Thanks,

I hit that karma button to see what that was all about and unfortunately I simply clicked on the down one by your name. I didn't realize that reflected negatively upon you and I will fix that after 6 hours. You run a great site that is immensely helpful to Oscar owners. Thanks for all your good information.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

:laugh: that's okay, I'm sure a lot of people think I talk a load of bollocks anyway

chikuba replied the topic: Re:Pleco Suggestions?

if you are planning on gettin a pleco....... i suggest you get one that is bigger than your oscar because i had a small pleco and it got killed by the oscars(who were bigger)

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Pleco Suggestions?

I find plecs keep a tank clean. I very rarely have to clean my tank from algae. They do produce visible waste tho so you need to keep up with your gavel cleaning. I rarely feed them (the algae wafers) as they seem to get enough from the algae that grows and any odd bits of waste food. They are also very slow growing so you dont need to worry about them getting too big. Most only get to about a foot or so. I have a 3 year that is about 8inches. It was an inch when i got it. Compare that to oscars!!!! If you have one that is a decent size (bout 6in plus) and you want rid of it most local fish shops(in england) will give you a credit for it

I can't get no sleep

misplacedsooner replied the topic: Re:Pleco Suggestions?

I just got rid of a 15 incher and a 10 incher that came with the 55 I bought with an oscar and others:angry:
mike c.

michael, 45, stillwater,oklahoma 1 oscar tank,4 ca & sa tanks,2 multi tanks, 4 various tropical tanks, 5 betta tanks

bullgod replied the topic: Re:Pleco Suggestions?

I have 2 plecos in my tank about 10 inches long.
They POO alot though but they do help keep tank clean.
I feed them shrimp and they love cucumbers i put a
slice in about twice a week,my oscars will even nibble on
the cucumbers.My oscars dont seem to mind them and they
dont seem to mind the oscars.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds