Watch "Dwarf Gourami & Cory Cats" on YouTube

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Watch "Dwarf Gourami & Cory Cats" on YouTube

Bri B wrote: Thanks Rob. I will do some research on the sponge filter

The only issue I would have with sponges in a 10g is the fact that they take up space in the tank, and are not very attractive. You may want to check out some of the internal filters that are air driven and suction cup to the back of the tank. I don't have any experience with them, but in a 10 I think they might look better. I don't know if this type of filter would handle the bioload, but it may be worth checking out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bri B
  • Bri B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Watch "Dwarf Gourami & Cory Cats" on YouTube

I was just looking at some videos of how they work and how to set them up and I'm not sure they will handle the bio load either. Seems more like a secondary filter to me. I think I'm just gonna keep the water level higher to reduce current and add a few more plants to make the gourami more comfortable.

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Watch "Dwarf Gourami & Cory Cats" on YouTube

I kind of thought the same thing. Toom is new to ofl, but not to keeping fish. He has some really good ideas about low power filtration for smaller tanks. If he does not chime in again, you might want to pm him about it.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Watch "Dwarf Gourami & Cory Cats" on YouTube

Sponge are great for bio allot of surface area and he low flow rate will maximize the bb but they are horrible for mech i prob would do just sponges
Robs right see what toom had to say

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Thanks guys. I will look into it. I have a little tetra hob that is very low current at least weaker than the penguin that is on there now. I could just pack that with cycled media and do a sponge filter in addition to that.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Watch "Dwarf Gourami & Cory Cats" on YouTube

daddadoo7 wrote: Sponge are great for bio allot of surface area and he low flow rate will maximize the bb but they are horrible for mech i prob would do just sponges

What I like about sponges for mechanical is that they do attract a lot of debris to wherever they are in the tank which makes it easy scoop up with a syphon or similar. I actually had one sponge filter that was powerful enough to draw a black skirt tetra into it and keep it there against it's will. :evil:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bri B

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Haha that must have been the king of all sponge filters

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Re:Watch "Dwarf Gourami & Cory Cats" on YouTube

Poseidon2.0 wrote:

daddadoo7 wrote: Sponge are great for bio allot of surface area and he low flow rate will maximize the bb but they are horrible for mech i prob would do just sponges

What I like about sponges for mechanical is that they do attract a lot of debris to wherever they are in the tank which makes it easy scoop up with a syphon or similar. I actually had one sponge filter that was powerful enough to draw a black skirt tetra into it and keep it there against it's will. :evil:

Wow ...lol i guess its more how its set up. Stronger air pump = more flow. I was looking for a lower flow rate

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Re:Watch "Dwarf Gourami & Cory Cats" on YouTube

Ha. Yeah, it depends on the air pump you hook up to it. I have a Whisper 60 running two sponges in a 75. Pretty powerful. If you put a Whisper 10 or 20 would have a lot less pull.

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Re:Watch "Dwarf Gourami & Cory Cats" on YouTube

Sponge filters will definitely get the job done, but I personally do not like the foot print they have, especially in a small tank. If/when I set up a new 10 to 20 with labyrinth fish I will be looking for something else.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds