My Tiger Oscar's Growth

• Phillipw311
  • Phillipw311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Phillipw311 created the topic: My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Hello all! For those of you that may not know me I am fairly new to the Oscar fish world. This is my very first Oscar to own. A few months ago I set up my 55 gallon tank finally. I've always wanted an Oscar but never had anywhere close to enough water volume to house one happily. So, I finally got my Oscar. He is still a little baby, but he's growing FAST!!! My filtration is the following: 50 gallon standard HOB filter. 306 Fluval Canister. In my canister I deleted the water polishing pads & carbon filters and crammed as much biological media (BIOMAX) as I could in that space I cleared up. Here's some pictures of his growth rate thus far. I have officially had him for 7 weeks!! You guys were right. Throughout what little maturity and growth he's already undergone he's come a long ways but you all were right. He's still a baby and nowhere near fully grown and his colors have already changed substantially. I haven't posted anything in a while so I thought I'd post a few pictures of where he's at as of today. The first picture is from about a week after I got him and the second picture is from today which marks 6 weeks after the first one. HUGE color and size difference! Also, he's the only fish in my 55 gallon. No other tank mates.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Blimey, he certainly changed in a week, it's amazing how fast they grow. Anyway, keep us updated with photos, I would really like to use them on the website, especially if we can get photos taken throughout a few months showing him from a small baby, right up to adulthood, that would be great.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Phillipw311 replied the topic: My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Well, that's a 6 week size and color comparison. Those were taken 6 weeks apart. But I try to take at least a few different pictures of him in the same position a month to do comparisons. And I plan to do that every month until he's fully grown and at that point I'll post his growth rate with dated pictures to see how much he changed per month and you'll see where he had growth spurts. I think It will be an interesting post!

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: My Tiger Oscar's Growth

I like his markings :)

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Nice O. Keep the photos coming.

By Tapatalk

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re:My Tiger Oscar's Growth

yeah very nice

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Are they the same fish? The fish has made a drastic change.

• Thank you received: 5

G6DDS replied the topic: My Tiger Oscar's Growth

It's great seeing how much they grow.
Been taking pictures of my Oscar shadow every month, grows an inch every month.

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Phillipw311 replied the topic: My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Hey guys sorry for the delay it's been a while since I have been on. I have been busier than I even know what to do with.. Haha but I still take care of my Oscar first. First things first you guys know how this works.. Haha! But, thanks so much for all of the positive feedback. And yes, shockingly enough that's surely the exact same fish!!! He doesn't even look like the same Oscar. He looks a night and day difference and he's still an infant and he's already changed that much!! He was roughly 2.5" when I brought him home. It's been about 9-10 weeks now and he's literally DOUBLED in size along with his color transformation. He has been growing really fast. He is now just shy of 5"!!! Along with his growth rate his appetite has obviously grown a TON as well. I can't wait to see how much more he changes from now till he reaches maturity. I take pictures every few weeks and I plan ton continue so I can post 12-15 pictures (one a month) from the week I got him till present day one year after bringing him home. He already doesn't even look like the same fish and I know he will change color wise and obviously size wise by maturity. I can't wait for the transformation!!! He's also MUCH more outgoing now. He used to pout religiously as a juvenile, but he's much more outgoing now and MUCH more active than he used to be. And incredibly social. He used to pout for HOURS after PWCs, but that's now a thing of the past! He's back and swimming around again within 5-10 minutes after I stop messing with the tank. Awesome fish choice guys. If anybody doesn't have a tiger Oscar and is considering one and just so happens to read this, GET ONE!!! I do not regret it one bit and would buy one all over again if I had to start over. I am more than happy with him.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Little guy looks great. He will change his appearance a lot before he is done growing. And grow fast they do as your finding out. Taking lots of pics is always a great idea. Looking forward to the updates.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds