My Tiger Oscar's Growth

• Thank you received: 0

Rcguerra replied the topic: Re:My Tiger Oscar's Growth

One of my favorite Oscars ever. Very nice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:RE: My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Phillipw311 wrote: Hello all! For those of you that may not know me I am fairly new to the Oscar fish world. This is my very first Oscar to own. A few months ago I set up my 55 gallon tank finally. I've always wanted an Oscar but never had anywhere close to enough water volume to house one happily. So, I finally got my Oscar. He is still a little baby, but he's growing FAST!!! My filtration is the following: 50 gallon standard HOB filter. 306 Fluval Canister. In my canister I deleted the water polishing pads & carbon filters and crammed as much biological media (BIOMAX) as I could in that space I cleared up. Here's some pictures of his growth rate thus far. I have officially had him for 7 weeks!! You guys were right. Throughout what little maturity and growth he's already undergone he's come a long ways but you all were right. He's still a baby and nowhere near fully grown and his colors have already changed substantially. I haven't posted anything in a while so I thought I'd post a few pictures of where he's at as of today. The first picture is from about a week after I got him and the second picture is from today which marks 6 weeks after the first one. HUGE color and size difference! Also, he's the only fish in my 55 gallon. No other tank mates.

Where is this guy after all this time?

Awsome!

"Tapaquê?!?"

• Phillipw311
  • Phillipw311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Re:RE: My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Hello all! I haven't been on here in a WHILE!!! Big Bruce is actually big now! Lol he is still alive, very healthy, happy, and has grown into a BRUTE monster as you all can see! Haha He's about 16 months old now. He's my pride & joy!! Wouldn't trade him for any other fish. He's grown on me. He has a hell of a personality and has grown to be very enjoying. I bust my ass keeping everything immaculate. Filter cleanliness, 1/2 water changes every other day, feeding him a variety diet of pellets and freeze dried blood worms, etc... But enough talk here he is! He grew up to be beautiful. Let me know what you guys think about him then vs. now please! Shoot me some feedback. Also, sorry if the pics are a little blurry it's hard to catch him sitting still... LOL!

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Re:RE: My Tiger Oscar's Growth

OH! Also forgot to mention. I am 6' 6" tall. So I am a BIG ole dude. haha but I obviously have HUGE hands and he's thicker than my hand. Length wise I would say he's right at 12-12.5". He's still growing to this day. His growth rate has just slowed way down from him spurting over 1"+ a month. He's still growing length wise very slowly but he is more so filling out now and his fins are getting more full. Just like a human filling out when their metabolism slows down. You guys know what I am getting at and trying to say?? He's a one of a kind color wise. I haven't really seen any other tiger Oscars that look anything like him. I love his colors personally. Also, update, I am no longer running a HOB filter. I am running dual Fluval 306 canisters. Both of which I removed water polishing pads and carbon and replaced with additional BIOMAX. So I have 4 BIOMAX trays total between 2 canisters filtering over 600 gallons per hour plus I have a powerhead that aerates the water extremely well. So he is treated very very well. Over the top to be honest but I would rather over do it and keep it immaculate and filter as much water possible than undershoot it!

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

S.S. replied the topic: Re:My Tiger Oscar's Growth

He his huge and beautiful and he deserves a bigger tank.

"TapatalKing"

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Well done raising a fine Oscar. Your enthusiasm really shows. See how Bruce is pretty well as long as the tank is wide? Thats the sign of needing more space. Bruce will still grow, albeit slowly. He will feel less uncomfortable in a tank of 100+ gallons, and minimum 18in width. I have a big fella in a 72x18 125gal. Even that looks not so big holding a huge cichlid. I only bring this up, not as criticism, rather for you and Bruce to get the most from the hobby

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Re:My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Man trust me I have thought about it, but there are several issues... First off, I built that stand from the ground up. It was hell and took me about a month to build just during my free time for an hour or two each night after work. I don't know if I can build off of the existing one or not is the thing. I built the frame out of dual reinforced 2x4s all going tall ways and then reinforced each post running up on either side and center. so 6 dual reinforced posts and each corner post is dual 2x4s for extra support. I could put my car on it and it wouldn't give or break. lmao but I don't know if it is possible to add onto itif that makes sense, like take the front off build a mini version of my HD stand and drill the two together making it 5" longer allowing for 18" of aquarium. I am not sure if it will hold I am skeptical on if I should add on or start from scratch which will take weeks to build and LOTS of $$$$$$$.... Thoughts? Because if I could add onto the existing stand, it wouldn't be nearly as expensive as starting from scratch again,,, Also I am VERY skeptical about the floor. It's on a 2nd floor with the 2nd floor being wood foundation. I am scared shitless it'll weigh too much and fall through the floor. Input please!!! Definitely stuck between a rock and a hard place here...

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:My Tiger Oscar's Growth

That is a very very nice looking Oscar, absolutely stunning!

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:My Tiger Oscar's Growth

Ok, lets just simplify. 1.. your floor will hold a 125g tank. Keep on an outside load bearing wall.
2.. You can build a decent looking, painted 2x4 and plywood stand for well under $100. In a few hours, not weeks.
3.. Build a separate unit, do not try to add to the other.
4.. Get to it, Bruce will be eternally greatfull.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

S.S. replied the topic: Re:My Tiger Oscar's Growth

No more news and pictures from bruce? At least once a month you should give some news :)

"Tapatalking!"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds