# TANK:
Length: 65INC (5.4FT or 165CM)
Height and depth: 20INC (1.6FT or 50CM)
Volume: 108US GAL (90UK GAL or 412LTS)

# FILTRATION:
Fluval FX6
JBl 1501

TOTAL FILTRATION CAPACITY:
For aquariums up to 558US GAL (462UK GAL or 2100LTS)
Flow rate: 800US GPH (666UK GPH or 3030LPH). 7.4 times per hour of the total tank volume being filtered
Biological filtration: 3.1US GAL (2.5UK GAL or 11.6LTS)
Mechanical filtration: 2.7US GAL (2.3UK GAL or 10.3LTS)

# LIGHT: 3 x 5w LED GU10 4000k

# HARDSCAPE:
Black Hawaii sand with about 1INC (2.5CM) height and 3 tall driftwood logs and some rocks. I like the hardscape this way but when the Oscar(s) get bigger I might have to take some of the logs for more free swimming space

# TEMPERATURE: 77ºF (25ºC) up to 80.6ºF (27ºC) in the summer

# FOOD:
- NLS Cichlid Formula
- NLS Thera +A
- Hikari Cichlid staple
- Hikari Sinking Cichlid Gold
- OSI Cichlid pellets
- Tetra Cichlid Shrimp Sticks
- Tetra Delica blood worms
- Tetra Delica Krill
- Tetra Phyll Granules
- Sera granugreen
- JBL Atvitol
- Peas
- Worms
- Frozen Shrimp

# MY FISH CHOICES:
Considering the available species in my area, tank size as well as the references from OFL, and other websites as AqAdviser I got to:
- Astronotus ocellatus
- Heros sp. rotkeil
- Andinoacara pulcher
- Thorichthys meeki
- Synodontis eupterus
- Metynnis hypsauchen

UPDATES:
July - 2017
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• S.S.
  • S.S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: My OTS - "OscarLand" 400lts

The tank was already cycled from a previous setup and all fish entered on the second week of January. All fish are small around 2 to 3inc (5/7cm)

A few days later one of the SD's was dead without both eyes :(

As this thread was already posted before and by mistake deleted as other recent one´s, I've had some answers before to this: One explained to me this SD problem like this:

"This is a common serrasalmus treat.
SD's are closely related to Piranha's and do act like them...in many ways .Cowardly finnippers and opportunistic food stealers...
And when a member of the school is ill, weak or dying, the others will notice and simply kill the weak or sick fish.
Just like with P's...
I speak out of expierience and did my research.
I never expected to find this behaviour in our "herbivorous ditherfish", but they are skittish at first sight, but behave like bastards as well.

Was it a male SD and did you actually have 2 males ?
My first male was harrased by the other male, got weak and the whole school ganged up on him and wiped him out.
SD's have some nasty teeth in their lower jaw that can do real damage.
Oscars become so boisterous, they can go well with them, but i've seen the trouble they can cause with Arowana's and my Gar.
Sd's give me mixed feelings now and i am glad I only have one left."

This was written by suprd71 or Noddy??? :unsure:

I can´t really tell if it was a male or female but two days ago I lost another SD, this one was intact, no damaged eyes or body like the first but he had half his body sucked in by the FX6 intake on the rear between the glass and the intake where there's no more than a 1/4 of an inch space. That guy must have been a contortionist to get in to that place. Maybe scared by other SD he looked for refuge in there???

Now I have a third SD apart from the rest of the gang. They where 7 now they are 4 plus that one living most time apart and this one has a small injury on the skin that occurred on the same day the first one dyed. Where they both at war? Or there's a third party involved doing all this damage?

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Problems apart in between of this events I've posted some pictures of the Oscar:

He has no similarity in pattern as my previous Oscars... I'm intrigued as it will turn in too. He was bought as a Tiger Oscar but I'm not convinced he really is.

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

And in my last post on the previous topic I've showed my Rotkeil:

Hope you enjoy the topic and comment on the photos and facts B) That way I'll keep the photos and some videos coming...

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Well and here are some more pictures :P

Andinoacara pulcher (Blue Acara) that seems at the moment the most aggressive fish. He is smaller than the Oscar and the Rotkeil but larger than the Meeki that always gets a run after from the Acara whenever near him.

Only the Meeki has a different behaviour towards food, he stays almost all the time in the bottom cruising the sand has an earth-eater even when I give them food, while the other cichlids always come up to the surface asking for food on the usual corner and run off after every sinking or drifting pellet.

The Meeki only puts some sand in his mouth and spits it off :huh:

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

My Oscar is sulking at a corner since yesterday. My suspicion for this is that the Rotkeil and the Blue Acara are good friends and rule the tank for the moment.

Meanwhile the 3rd SD that was apart from the rest of the group was found also in the intake of the FX6. Besides the previous damage mentioned his body looked okay. Some SD pictures now only 4 and usually hanging close with each other.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: My OTS - "OscarLand" 400lts

wow those photos man, beautiful

Haku, I knew your were good.

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

S.S. replied the topic: Re:RE: My OTS - "OscarLand" 400lts

benmcfadden wrote: wow those photos man, beautiful

Thanks I have to take quite a few photos to get some good ones.

About the Oscar sulking he still is doing that and I've seen when he gets out of the corner that the blue Acara runs him back to the corner. I think the Firemouth is more or less bullyed by the Acara as the Oscar so what can I do to change this?

I can put a division glass separating the Oscar and firemouth from the Acara in the tank or just take out the Acara to a temporary smaller tank as a detention so he learns to be less aggressive. What's the best option?

"Tapatalking"

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Well things are going the wrong way for me... I took the Acara out 2 days ago once I thought he was bulling the Firemouth and the Oscar but found out the next day that the Firemouth was gone... and the Oscar was out of the corner but moving around slowly with a erratic behaviour and not picking any food. A better look at the Oscar and his skin and eyes looked blurred.

So I changed my opinion about they being bullied and started to think that the problem was different, some kind of poisoning or bad adaption to the tank water, inspite the first two weeks they looked very fine. Now the Oscar is almost Nocked Out, laying on the bottom on his side... I think he wont make pass this night. :(

All other fish, the Synodontis, SD's and blue Acara as well as the Rotkeil that is growing fast, are doing very well. If there's a watter problem it only affected the Oscar and Firemouth that happen to have been purchased at the same LFS. Neither the Oscar or the Firemouth had any damage on their bodies, that only happened with the SD´s and the remaining 4 are very very active and looking healthy too.

WTF!

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Hello. News from My OTS!

A few weeks after loosing the Oscar and the Meeki I got not one but 2 new Oscars and a new meeki. I know that the tank is too small for all the fish in it, specially with 2 O´s but... if they all keep growing fine they will get a new and larger enough tank.

Here are some pictures while I'm working on some videos I have been making the last weeks to show you these guys better

Metynnis hypsauchen or Silver Dollars or SD´S. They are now twice the size they had 2 months ago:

Astronotus ocellatus or Albino Oscar? or lutino? What do you think? He is very nice!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds