Fish tank kings tv show.

• Bri B
  • Bri B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32

Bri B created the topic: Fish tank kings tv show.

Hey have any of you watched any of this fish tank kings show? It is recently added to Netflix and I believe is on nat geo. Anyhow I think they are guilty of some hardcore overcrowding. The episode I'm watching now they are putting over 100 African cichlids in a circular tank with a massive tree insert in the middle. The tank is big but I'm guessing no more than 300 gal with a huge chunk of real estate taken up by the tree. Seems like a horrible situation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Fish tank kings tv show.

Insanity

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Fish tank kings tv show.

I prefer fish tank Kings over tanked, those two guys who run tanked are just so immature and stupid, they just irritate me and I don't watch the show any more.And like a lot of these reality shows, that is extremely contrived and fake in my opinion.

Most of these aquariums that they installed must cost thousands and thousands of dollars. As for stocking, I agree, those tanks look heavily stocked and I'd certainly like to see what they were like a few weeks later. Mind you, they must be using some biological media that has already been established and put in the filtration system, there's no way you can cycle a huge aquarium that many fish from the word go.

Also, I think they are sponsored by the company who provide the ready-made salt water and substrate. You'll notice that they always get the company name in somewhere, from the programs I've seen from the US, advertising is very heavily regulated and even logos on T-shirts are blurred out. However, they blatantly show you the company name on the front of the seawater containers and probably mention that two or three times as well.

My guess is the people who have these aquariums installed will get a companyTo come and look after the aquarium for them, these are massive aquariums that are very expensive to keep and look after.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Yeah they also are using super heavy duty custom filters that I can only assume can handle a much more intense bio load than even the best commercial filters. Just found some of the overstocked tanks to be way over the top after learning about how much space and filtration even 1 or 2 larger cichlids need from being on the forum here.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Fish tank kings tv show.

The customer always wants the 'instant gratification' of a tank and fish with no knowledge of the biological cycle involved. So yep overcrowd and dump in some bottle bacteria and your all done, lol

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Lol Dmd some of the most intense over stocking I've ever seen. Like over 100 full grown African cichlids in a tank maybe 300 gal possibly smaller

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Fish tank kings tv show.

I really love the shows for the build process but hate the overstocked conditions they start up these new tanks with. I guess if you can afford one of these you likely have a professional service to deal with all the issues.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Fish tank kings tv show.

Yeah the fish typically are the least important part of their focus. There was one episode where they moved a nurse shark from cramped conditions to a large aquarium that could handle the fish. I kind of liked that one, but for the most part I have seen they don't even mention cycling it is all rush, rush rush, complete the impossible job in a really short time frame.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds