Weird question about cracked tank...

• TheLilMommaB
  • TheLilMommaB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

TheLilMommaB created the topic: Weird question about cracked tank...

Ok I have a weird question but I know you guys know alot about the weight and strength of tanks so i figured I'd ask you if you think my idea might work and be worth taking the chance or if it's a no way anything is gonna work kinda deal...I have an obsession with hermit crabs that's as bad as my new obsession with fish tanks...anyways I found a 180 gallon tank for 75$ but the bottom is cracked...I don't really have the time space of extra cash to try to repair it for water...So I'm trying to figure out if I use foam board, spray foam, or something to fill the bottom part where the glass is then put a couple pieces of plexiglass inside to help spread the weight out and prevent and direct pressure on the crack before adding a false bottom do you guys think it would add enough support to hold about 3-4 hundred pounds of wet sand without the whole bottom shattering out? Any ideas?

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 10, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 11 purple pincher hermit crabs, 8 cats, 6 guppies, 2 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 red eared slider, 1 cockatiel, 1 goldfish, 1 veiled chameleon, and 1 bone headed pittbull. And working with The Mid Atlantic Turtle and Tortoise Association to become a slider foster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Weird question about cracked tank...

Plexiglass is too flexible. It would just bend and probably open up the crack more. I wouldn't touch it. You'd have to replace the entire bottom piece of glass.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Weird question about cracked tank...

Put a piece or pieces of foam in the bottom outside recessed area against the glass so it is at least flush with the plastic trim. Basically eliminating the gap between the glass and stand. Then set the tank down on a stand that has a flat top so you can support the entire bottom surface of the tank. Not just sitting on the trim edge. Then put your piece of foam inside the tank. Then you have basically sandwiched the glass between the 2 pieces of foam while it sits on the stand. This will keep it secure enough. Put the sand in. Even if the bottom piece breaks in a million pieces while your using it, you'll never know until you move the tank off the stand. If the sand will be wet or if there is any chance of water getting spilled in the tank, then put a bead of silicon around the inside piece of foam so water doesn't get out. You could remove the glass pane completely if you wanted, cut a piece of foam the size of the glass pane, set it on the flat top stand, set the tank down over the foam and silicone around the inside edge of the foam.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• TheLilMommaB
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

TheLilMommaB replied the topic: Re:Weird question about cracked tank...

Oh just wanted to add some pictures of what my false bottom would look like incase that helps any with the suggestions.

This is the false upside down half finished...all the little pieces of pvc get spaced evenly all over the bottom then the egg crate gets placed on top wrapped in plastic canvas and weed block fabric.

Once in

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 10, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 11 purple pincher hermit crabs, 8 cats, 6 guppies, 2 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 red eared slider, 1 cockatiel, 1 goldfish, 1 veiled chameleon, and 1 bone headed pittbull. And working with The Mid Atlantic Turtle and Tortoise Association to become a slider foster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Sorry - I misunderstood what you were trying to do. The idea jmunroe had with foam should work I'd think. In fact, I think you had that in mind when you asked your question. If you sandwich the glass bottom with foam there's a good chance it will distribute the weight. Then put your false bottom on top of the inside foam. You could add a piece of plexiglass so the pvc pieces' weight will be evenly distributed on the foam although I've had bad luck with that stuff sagging and warping. I haven't tried lexan but it should be better. Acrylic would definitely be better.

• TheLilMommaB
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Yay :-) looks like my hermits get an upgrade next...all my pets are moving up in the world I guess I'll soon have to upgrade the house to make room for the tanks :-)

Or if you're like me and you keep putting more tanks in the house you're in maybe they'll do some tv show about you like 'Fish Tank Hoarders: Buried Alive.'

• TheLilMommaB
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Lol I'd watch that...if I get sick and miss one day of animal care I feel like I'm gonna end up on Animal Hoarders till I catch back up.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds