What is it with Bear Gryls?

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL created the topic: What is it with Bear Gryls?

I don't understand why Bear Gryls feels the need to get people doing the most disgusting things on his show. He was trying to demonstrate that in an emergency when you don't have anything to drink, you can actually drink your own urine. However, he seemed to contradict himself. He stated that if you were well hydrated then it was safe to drink your own urine. Well, if you have got to the point where you have got to drink your own urine then I would suggest that you are not well hydrated, so your urine would certainly not be safe to drink.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:What is it with Bear Gryls?

Might not be him that's running the show. He gets paid to do what he do....and producers run the show.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re:What is it with Bear Gryls?

I'm not a fan. He annoys me

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:What is it with Bear Gryls?

benmcfadden wrote: I'm not a fan. He annoys me

i agree, he's lost his touch ... not my cup of tea trying to get American movie stars to do these wilderness stuff.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:What is it with Bear Gryls?

What really irritates me about him is that he is for ever boasting about his time in the special forces.However, if you actually Google him, it appears that he was only ever in the territorials and was in the reserve special forces, so I doubt very much whether you actually saw any proper action. I know for a fact that a lot of the military guys think that he is a complete joke. However, he has made a lot of money out of what he does, especially with all his merchandise.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re:What is it with Bear Gryls?

I think he makes for good tv . I used to love watching him eat spiders and snakes ! And the accent it great ( tho some of you here will not realize the accent lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:What is it with Bear Gryls?

ehall67 wrote: I think he makes for good tv . I used to love watching him eat spiders and snakes ! And the accent it great ( tho some of you here will not realize the accent lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly it Eddie, it makes good TV. He doesn't actually offer any interesting information, unlike people like Ray Mears who is also a UK survival expert. BG's makes programs that are very unrealistic. With him, it's all about finding the most disgusting thing to eat, rather like other survival experts who will actually eat a lot of the vegetation. You don't see Ray Mears eating problems while there are still alive, that is one thing that I find very annoying about BG, he doesn't show very much respect to wildlife. In a lot of cases there is absolutely no need to kill the animals, he's got a camera crew following him that have probably got plenty of food with them.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: What is it with Bear Gryls?

Actually though some discovery channel survival shows are even worse. Come on being naked in a land. Chances everyone wear clothes so most likely you are wearing clothes when you are lost in the wild.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: What is it with Bear Gryls?

turtle lover wrote: Actually though some discovery channel survival shows are even worse. Come on being naked in a land. Chances everyone wear clothes so most likely you are wearing clothes when you are lost in the wild.

I agree, being totally naked is just unrealistic. Also, the other one that I watch occasionally is called Dual Survival. If it wasn't for that dude not wearing anything on his feet then it would be a little bit more credible.

The worst one of late that I've seen is one where two people are actually shackled together with a cord about 4 foot long.They then get dumped somewhere Romario and I've got to survive, but always being shackled together. Again, what exactly are they trying to prove from this exercise? The best shows I've seen are the ones that Ed Stafford does. He doesn't take a camera crew with him, he does all the filming himself. However again, his naked so I think he's just trying to prove to himself that he can survive, I don't think it's trying to emulate a real-life situation.

I'd like to see naked and afraid in Antarctica, that would be quite entertaining :-)

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: What is it with Bear Gryls?

The only event I can think of that can happen is when the people eat their clothes.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds