River Monsters fishing for Arapaina

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL created the topic: River Monsters fishing for Arapaina

Just watched an episode of River Monsters. Jeremy had heard reports of a creature killing people. He ended up going to Guyana in South America to fish for arapaina. However, there was a ban on fishing for these fish because they are endangered. Luckily for him the chief gave him permission to fish for them, but we had to use a fly, he was not allowed to use a baited hook. So, he ended up catching a 250 pounder on fly tackle, truly remarkable.

I've seen people catch Marlin and tarpon on fly tackle, but they were not as big as this araparima.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: River Monsters fishing for Arapaina

OFL wrote: Just watched an episode of River Monsters. Jeremy had heard reports of a creature killing people. He ended up going to Guyana in South America to fish for arapaina. However, there was a ban on fishing for these fish because they are endangered. Luckily for him the chief gave him permission to fish for them, but we had to use a fly, he was not allowed to use a baited hook. So, he ended up catching a 250 pounder on fly tackle, truly remarkable.

I've seen people catch Marlin and tarpon on fly tackle, but they were not as big as this araparima.

For me this is one of my most favorite episode of the season. The arapaima though is not the biggest one caught in the fly. I have heard of a fishes caught in Thailand at 300 pounds plus. The arapaima fight in Body Snatcher is one of the most amazing fights in River Monsters for me. The tarpon fight and arapaima in Lair of Giants is better. Amazing episode although wish for more fish species.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: River Monsters fishing for Arapaina

The ones in Thailand are commercially stocked at a fishing lake aren't they? They have some fishing lakes over there that are stocked with lots of different South American monsters. If it wasn't for the heat, I would like to go out there myself, but it would just be too darn hot for me.

OFL wrote: The ones in Thailand are commercially stocked at a fishing lake aren't they? They have some fishing lakes over there that are stocked with lots of different South American monsters. If it wasn't for the heat, I would like to go out there myself, but it would just be too darn hot for me.

Well sadly yes. I do remember an article from Malaysia where arapaima caused some drowning there. It is under another alias. If I am right, it is the ikan naga.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: River Monsters fishing for Arapaina

There's another guy called Zeb Hogan who does a very similar program to Jeremy Wade. I remember one show where he went looking for the Siamese carp in its natural environment, He didn't find very many.

Zeb Hogan only found one. The rest are raised in a fish lake. I still prefer River Monsters over Monster Fish due to the creative plot although recent seasons are not as nice to be exact season six. Season Five though was still a good season.

I do wish though to catch tht size of fish on a fly in such a snaggy area. It looks amazing.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: River Monsters fishing for Arapaina

The arapaima fight also reminded me of the golden dorado. They are the only two main fish in the season that I think would count as a sport fish quality species. Most if not all of the fishes in the season are strong fishes but those two are the jumpers.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: River Monsters fishing for Arapaina

OFL wrote: The ones in Thailand are commercially stocked at a fishing lake aren't they? They have some fishing lakes over there that are stocked with lots of different South American monsters. If it wasn't for the heat, I would like to go out there myself, but it would just be too darn hot for me.

If you go during December to January, it is not too bad at all. Even gets chilly at night.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds