Newest Addition To The Family--- Bearded Dragon

• Thor84
  • Thor84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • GREASE MONKEY
  • Thank you received: 7

Thor84 created the topic: Newest Addition To The Family--- Bearded Dragon

I thought I would share a short video of our newest addition. We got our almost-9-year-old daughter a bearded dragon for christmas this year. We think it is about 9 months old. My daughter named it "Izzy", even though I tried to persuade her to name it "Fluffy". I expect to help quite a bit in the beginning caring for it, but I hope it will teach her a little responsibility.

The stand is an old peice of pine furniture that I sanded and repainted the week before christmas. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder, with a UVB flourescent light fixture, and heat lamp. Play sand for substrate, and rocks, slate, and wood for furniture. We are feeding it veggies almost every day, and insects with vitamin and calcium supplements every other day... fasting on sundays. Still a lot to learn though!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Newest Addition To The Family--- Bearded Dragon

Great present! I kind of agree, fluffy would have been a great name. But, her pet, her naming rights.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Newest Addition To The Family--- Bearded Dragon

Very cool Man! I used to be big into reptiles and amphibians and its easy to see why. THat dude is awesome

• Thank you received: 18

mishka replied the topic: Newest Addition To The Family--- Bearded Dragon

Oh how beautiful, I used to have two beardies that are no longer with me :( My cats got along great with them and they loved to sit in front of my Oscar tank and watch my Oscars.. and try to eat them LOL, they are GREAT pets, but feeding them is so expensive! Enjoy your new addition :)

• Thor84
  • Thor84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • GREASE MONKEY
  • Thank you received: 7

Thor84 replied the topic: Newest Addition To The Family--- Bearded Dragon

I can see how feeding them could be expensive. they need a lot of fresh produce and crickets. my wife works at the hospital and brings home salad and veggies from the cafeteria every couple of days.
to give them vitamins and calcium, you dust the insects with it, right? we got a care sheet, and it tells us what to do on what day, but not exactly how......

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Newest Addition To The Family--- Bearded Dragon

Yes you def have to dust the insects with vitamins. If you ever have problems with him let me know cuzmy buddy is HUGE into reptiles and knows everything there is to know pretty much. He's basically a self taught Herpetologist

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Newest Addition To The Family--- Bearded Dragon

looks like fun.

congratz. :)

and thanks for sharing.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Thank you received: 18

mishka replied the topic: Newest Addition To The Family--- Bearded Dragon

Have you thought of starting your own Dubia Roach colony? I had one and it was the best decision I could have made over crickets.. Dubia roaches are higher in protein than crickets, their shells are thinner so they are meatier.. they give live birth and breed like rabbits and their lifespan is a little over a year... if you buy 50 adult females and 20 adult males and put them in a large plastic bin with egg crates and a heating pad and leave them alone for 3 months, you'll have a successful colony and you pretty much won't have to spend money on food other than veggies. You feed them crushed up cat food because they're high in calories which will fatten them up.. it takes about 3 months for a dubia to reach an appropriate size to feed your beardie. The best perks about them is they don't make noise, they have no odor, they can't jump, climb, fly, or bite, they are bred for strictly feeding!

Just a thought and a suggestion to help you save money, it definitely saved money for me. :) Especially since both of my beardies ate up to 300 roaches a day lol

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds