My baby oscar seems to be doing okay but i have quesitons still

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:My baby oscar seems to be doing okay but i have quesitons still

Not exactly. You dont yet have an established filter, being that you have a new setup. It takes at least 2 full months to develop a viable bacteria colony. Filter ratings do not apply to aquariums housing large messy cichlids. You cant over filter a cichlid tank. Do get as big of a tank as you can asap. If your plan is to have a 75 as a final home, get a filter that will manage such a tank. At present you should be doing 75% water changes every 2nd day. Water conditioner doesnt do anything to speed up your cycle, it enables you do use tap water instantly with your water changes. Dont get suckered into buying any quick cycle bacteria in a bottle. Its worthless. A medium sized quality canister, I recommend a Filstar XP-L, and a large hob, like the Aquaclear 110 would be a good filtration package for a 75g with 1 Oscar. Minimum 3x weekly 75% changes will be mandatory while these filters establish themselves.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gaarakilla19
  • Gaarakilla19's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Re:My baby oscar seems to be doing okay but i have quesitons still

actually id love to do a 55gal honestly any info on that? sorry to hassle :X

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: My baby oscar seems to be doing okay but i have quesitons still

If you aren't going to get a bigger tank in the next week, I would strongly recommend you re-home the Oscar & get fish that are suited for the tank you have. Keeping this fish that has the potential to get to be 18" in a small tank like a 20GL even for a short period will cause health problems down the road.

Oscars really aren't fish for beginners, they do require a minimum of housing & care, which unfortunately you don't have.

I would recommend you try easier, more forgiving fish, such as live-bearers, danios or barbs, & also utilize that as a learning experience; "get your feet wet", so to speak; I would also strongly recommend you get a good book on fishkeeping & learn about filtration & the nitrogen cycle, you need a firm grasp on these aspects of fishkeeping to be successful.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:My baby oscar seems to be doing okay but i have quesitons still

No hassle at all young fella. You may have read here and there that a 55g is a BARE MINIMUM for an Oscar. Having owned Oscars off and on for over 40yrs, its my opinion that a 55g tank with a width that is less than an Oscars full grown length is not good enough. The extra 6ins of a 75 or 90 is a great benefit to the fish. Also a 55 with a large Oscar will require a lot of attention, meaning 3x weekly large water changes and serious gravel vac each time. With an Oscar you have chosen one of the fastest growing, largest, messiest cichlids in the hobby. They are also very sensitive to iffy water quality, high nitrates, dissolved metabolites and the like. If you would like a 55g tank, I would suggest a different kind of fish. There are dozens that dont get so big, so quickly, and are just as rewarding to the fishkeeper. If you are set on keeping your Oscar, I def suggest a minimum 75g tank.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Re:My baby oscar seems to be doing okay but i have quesitons still

hey would this tank be a good thing to get? www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Aquarium-Starter-Kit-55-Gallon-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/24808068 ? what else would i need to buy just 1 oscar and temp tank till maybe when he gets bigger, also i dont drive so i cant get one off craigslist :C closes craigslist is 40 mins or so from me and peopel want everything all picked up:[

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

also if i got this n cleaned it would it still kill my fish? n not talkin bout the turtle i dont want one

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re:My baby oscar seems to be doing okay but i have quesitons still

Thats decent but the filtration is useless and you'd still need a stand.

Im nit sure if thythe still have it but Petco and pet smart had a similar deal with a low end hob filter that you can at least make use of. Youd need to get another filter but at least the one it comes with is decent enough to contribute to the overall filtration.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds