Sand vs. Gravel

• CamaroDMD
  • CamaroDMD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

CamaroDMD created the topic: Sand vs. Gravel

As I have been mentioning all over the forum the last few days...I'm trying to learn about Oscars and their tanks. I remember my Oscar when I was a kid loved to dig. He had a grey and black mixed gravel in his tank and he was constantly moving it around and digging.

As I start to think about how I want to setup my next tank when I have the space for one...I keep trying to decide what the best choice would be. I think sand looks nicer (maybe something black in color) but I'm concerned that it might be a much harder upkeep issue, might clog filters and just might be generally harder to deal with. I've been reading about FX6 filters and think that might be my primary filter choice.

What is your thought about sand vs. gravel. Is one more work than the other and does one look better? Also, which is a better choice for an Oscar? My hoping to have a 135+ gallon tank with 2 Oscars (and probably no tank mates) but I might have to settle for a 90gal and 1 Oscar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Sand vs. Gravel

I think sand is better because the enormous amount of sh*t that thick bodied cichlids and plecos generate settles on top of the sand and makes for easier vacuuming, unlike gravel which allows all that poop to settle in between the cracks, as it were.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• CamaroDMD
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

CamaroDMD replied the topic: Sand vs. Gravel

Goranothos wrote: I think sand is better because the enormous amount of sh*t that thick bodied cichlids and plecos generate settles on top of the sand and makes for easier vacuuming, unlike gravel which allows all that poop to settle in between the cracks, as it were.

I thought about that...but wouldn't it be really easy to vacuum a ton of sand out when doing a WC? Also, what about clogging up filters?

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Sand vs. Gravel

I'm of the minority that doesnt like sand, just had no luck with it. I prefer a very coarse, thin layer of gravel, it too is easy to vac

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Sand vs. Gravel

Im a huge fan of pool filter sand and black diamond blasting sand not only for the looks but also as Doug stated ease of clean up, instead of spending 20 minutes getting every inch in gravel you can just quickly hover and suck all the sh!t up

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Sand vs. Gravel

Filter clogging was the main problem I had, again I am of the minority, maybe the only sad sack on that one!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Sand vs. Gravel

CamaroDMD wrote: I thought about that...but wouldn't it be really easy to vacuum a ton of sand out when doing a WC? Also, what about clogging up filters?

you just hover above the sand when you vac, pool filter sand and black diamond blasting sand are larger grains they settle quickly and dont become suspended. Most the run sand leave there intakes about mid tank to keep from sucking up sand and ruining impellers

• CamaroDMD
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

CamaroDMD replied the topic: Sand vs. Gravel

Big-Ken wrote:

CamaroDMD wrote: I thought about that...but wouldn't it be really easy to vacuum a ton of sand out when doing a WC? Also, what about clogging up filters?

you just hover above the sand when you vac, pool filter sand and black diamond blasting sand are larger grains they settle quickly and dont become suspended. Most the run sand leave there intakes about mid tank to keep from sucking up sand and ruining impellers

OK, that makes sense. Just have the filter intakes high enough up the tank to prevent them from sucking up sand.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Sand vs. Gravel

Pool filter sand in my tanks, I only switched over last year and wont go back to gravel.

• Thank you received: 2

pinoybrat replied the topic: Sand vs. Gravel

me too.. pool filter sand is better. it easy to vacuum those poos. my oscars love to dig on the silica sand

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds