Oscar and tank size

• mcnally101
  • mcnally101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

mcnally101 created the topic: Oscar and tank size

Hi I just joined up on here, I have had a 3ft set up for a few months now with a mixture of everything. I just brought another 3ft set up and was thinking of getting an oscar maybe 2. Is a 36x18x14 tank to small for 2 oscars ? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar and tank size

That tank is not big enough for even 1 Oscar. 1 Oscar requires a MINIMUM 4ft tank of 55gals and in less than a year will need at least a 4ft 75g with an 18in width. Welcome to OFL, please research in depth before considering an Oscar. Very rewarding fish, but has very specific requirements to live its possible 15yrs and achieve its growth potential of 14-18ins.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• mcnally101
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

mcnally101 replied the topic: Oscar and tank size

Do you think it would be alright for a year or so until I upgraded it to 4 or 5 ft tank ? I would only buy them at about 3-4inch.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Oscar and tank size

oscars grow very quickly in a year it will be a foot long so no i wouldn't

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• mcnally101
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

mcnally101 replied the topic: Oscar and tank size

What about if I just got the 1 oscar for a year or so before getting the bigger tank, would that be recommended to have 1 oscar in a 3ft tank for a year ?

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Oscar and tank size

Welcome to OFL. No, you won't have a year or so. Oscars grow very fast. It's hard to appreciate or under stand just how fast that little fish at the store can grow if you've never raised them before. If you got that tank, you'd need to get a bigger one right away and need to move it to the bigger tank in a month or so. So in the end it's a waste of time. Get the right size tank first.., then get the oscar. Only get one oscar unless you get a 6 foot 125 gallon or bigger tank.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 10

Peeps replied the topic: Re:Oscar and tank size

My oscars are growing like weeds. They grow super fast. jmunroe had a good idea, get the tank first then the fish.

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Oscar and tank size

Hi,

Just thought I'd throw something in.

Your tank is waaaay to small. Yes I know buying a tank of decent size is expensive......................thats if you go to a store. Theyy always charge a fortune.

That said you can pick one up without breaking the bank. I would suggest looking into getting a larger tank before you get your fish.

I picked up my 150 us gal for £80. Thats about $133 US dollars. Ive seen the same size tank on sale for over £1600 ($2672). My tank came without a stand or hood. Its got a few bit scratchs when you look closely and the seals were a little old. All of which are easily dealt with.

Heres a pic I took a few months ago. My stand and hood are very basic at the moment, but thats the beauty about doing this sort of thing yourself; I can rebuild/redseign them or upgrade them at a later date when Ive saved up my pocket money. The important thing is that I have healthy fish.

I originally kept mine on the floor for a couple of months, with just a plastic sheet as a lid.

If your a bit nervous about doing these things yourself, no worries thats what we are here for.

So don't fret just start looking on websites like aquaists classified, craigslist , ebay gumtree etc. I got mine from gumtree in the end,

Oh and search by distance and when you do find one check your measurements then hire a van if you need to. Make sure you can fit it in.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Oscar and tank size

The answer to your question, as stated previously, is an emphatic NO. Stocking for cichlids, or any large fish for that matter, is based on adult size of fish. Oscars, even very small ones, need large aquariums, 55GL being absolute bare minimum, & even very small ones produce copious amounts of waste. If you have a 30GL, stock according to that, (Convicts, Firemouths, Tetras, etc) & save up for a bigger aquarium, or build one, if you are handy or know someone who is. If you place an Oscar in a 30GL, you are just setting yourself up for failure & your fish will get stunted & VERY possibly contract HITH/LLE.

I would strongly recommend you get a book on cichlids & their care; "The Cichlid Aquarium" by Dr. P.V. Loiselle is one I highly recommend.

Here's an article I wrote on Oscar care:

www.oscarfishlover.com/oscar-fish-care

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Oscar and tank size

always stock your tank for what you currently have.

theres no rush.

in a year - if you get a larger tank you can stock it accordingly.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds