New oscar Tank to much ??

• mcnally101
  • mcnally101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

mcnally101 created the topic: New oscar Tank to much ??

I am about to buy a 4ft x 18" x 18" tank which is about 67(us) gallons, is 2 oscars and a common pleco to much for that sized tank ? I want to get it right. Thanks
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: New oscar Tank to much ??

that tank size would be good for a single oscar no tank mates

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next
  • mcnally101
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

mcnally101 replied the topic: New oscar Tank to much ??

I've been told by a professional they that size tank would but a good size for 2 adult oscars.
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: New oscar Tank to much ??

If you are referring to whomever is trying to sell you this set up as a professional, think about where their interest lie. Every regular on this or any other site dedicated to keeping large cichlids will tell you that your chances for success in keeping two oscars in a 4" tank is basically zero If it were possible, then all of us would do it(we really do love oscars). If you want to keep multiple fish in that size tank, then there are some really good options., but oscars are not among them.
  • mcnally101
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Actually no the person I'm getting the set up off is not the same person ask the one who gave me advice, the person who have me the advice owns his out aquarium shop (there tanks cost to much) and specifies in cichlids. One of the employees actually owns 2 adult oscars and a common pleco in a basic 4ft tank. With a decent filter I think it should be fine. But was going to get advice from guy/girls on here.
  • Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: New oscar Tank to much ??

"I've been told by a professional they that size tank would but a good size for 2 adult oscars."

No offense, but professional what...bul$hitter? Just because someone owns an aquarium store does not mean they know how to take care of fish. I could own an auto repair shop, but that does NOT mean I know anything about how to repair cars. :pinch:

"One of the employees actually owns 2 adult oscars and a common pleco in a basic 4ft tank. With a decent filter I think it should be fine."

Did you see this tank? I would bet good money that 2 Oscars AND a Pleco, if indeed crammed into that small of a space, are swimming in their own wastes & the nitrates are off the charts, unless he/she is doing 100% water changing constantly.

Stocking for large cichlids like Oscars is based on adult size of fish, not what some knucklehead tells you it's OK to cram into a tank. Filtration, while important to maintain less than lethal levels of dissolved metabolites, has nothing to do with stocking levels. Adult Oscars can get to be 18"+.........67GL is barely big enough for 1 Oscar, bottom line, end of discussion. If this guy truly specializes ib cichlids, he would know that.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
  • Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: New oscar Tank to much ??

As a LONG time Oscar owner, and currently having 5, I will only concur with all advice given so far. 1 O is all your tank will sufficiently hold, and being on the smallish side, strict water maintenance will be mandatory for long term success.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
  • mcnally101
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I think I will just get the 2 oscars in the 4ftx18x18 tank, this is the only website I've been that says it's really bad to do. 1400Lph external filleter would work. That's going to cycle the water 5 times an hour almost 6. I've also noticed the way some people talk on the forum is a joke!
  • Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: New oscar Tank to much ??

So.. you believe that literally centuries of successful fishkeeping experience counts for nothing? A joke is it? The joke will be when you fail miserably, and the sad part is, its the fish that will suffer.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
  • OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: New oscar Tank to much ??

mcnally101 wrote: I've been told by a professional they that size tank would but a good size for 2 adult oscars.

Professional what?..... Ballet dancer, synchronised swimmer, skydiver, sure wasn't somebody who knows anything about keeping Oscars. :-)

Sorry for my sarcasm, but I've seen this time and time again, it's absolutely ridiculous that anyone in the fish business should be handing out advice like this, it's no wonder that only people have health problems with their Oscar.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds