A few questions plz

• Gaarakilla19
  • Gaarakilla19's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29

Gaarakilla19 created the topic: A few questions plz

Can anyone help me and answer a few of my questions?

* How can i seed a power filter with already bacteria'd media?

* If i fill a tank with conditioner and put an cycled filter on the tank even if the tanks bigger in gal will it still work out and not kill the BB?

* How to keep pollen out of your tanks, i never had an algae problem in the past 5 months since i got my O but recently the windows been down and 85 in the house ,we don't use the AC cause dads n asshole and we keep i windows open and i can tell its not algae cause hes always been by the window and never have that layer of stuff, i just got it off last w/c but ill get more off if it keeps coming i guess ;s wondering if there's anyways to prevent this

* What starter kits do you guys think are best? 30 gaL

* What filtration and setting would be good for 4(temp juv Keyhole cichlids) after i have a pair i will then give the other 2 to someone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: A few questions plz

1. combine new media with old media from cycled tank.

2.Put the amount of water conditioner for the total tank volume. Mix the water.

3. Not possible unless you wrap the whole tank in plastic

4. I don't use starter kits because you pay for things your tend to not need

5.Whatever you can afford as long as the filters are rated at least twice the aquarium size, so for a 30g your need a 60g filter.

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: A few questions plz

thx you sir

Rocksor wrote: 1. combine new media with old media from cycled tank.

2.Put the amount of water conditioner for the total tank volume. Mix the water.

3. Not possible unless you wrap the whole tank in plastic

4. I don't use starter kits because you pay for things your tend to not need

5.Whatever you can afford as long as the filters are rated at least twice the aquarium size, so for a 30g your need a 60g filter.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: A few questions plz

Gaarakilla19 wrote: Can anyone help me and answer a few of my questions?

* How can i seed a power filter with already bacteria'd media? you can seed add more media to your filter if it fits - or another HOB and add 1/2 the media from the old bag

* If i fill a tank with conditioner and put an cycled filter on the tank even if the tanks bigger in gal will it still work out and not kill the BB? the conditioner will not kill your BB, but without any ammonia - the BB will die

* How to keep pollen out of your tanks, i never had an algae problem in the past 5 months since i got my O but recently the windows been down and 85 in the house ,we don't use the AC cause dads n asshole and we keep i windows open and i can tell its not algae cause hes always been by the window and never have that layer of stuff, i just got it off last w/c but ill get more off if it keeps coming i guess ;s wondering if there's anyways to prevent this: you can try not feeding as much or put a cover on top of the tank to shield some light ~ pull down the shades? it's the amount of light that's on the tank that'll cause the algae, not the temp.

* What starter kits do you guys think are best? 30 gaL - if you're referring to a starter tank size - i will say get the biggest you can - a 75Gal or a 90Gal is a great starter tank ~ you don't need fancy equipments - an adequate air pump - heater - water conditioner - sponge filter and a python

* What filtration and setting would be good for 4(temp juv Keyhole cichlids) after i have a pair i will then give the other 2 to someone. depends on the size of the keyholes - seems like the biggest is 5 inches - i will say 1 HOB and a sponge filter on the 30 Gal

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Thanks im thinking about putting something over my open spots on top tank but since summers comming and no AC should i leave it open? dont want fish to over heat, also when in summer the heater wont heat right? and by starter kits i meant like kits in general for a 30 gallon and ive noticed that kits are cheaper then buying the filter,tank,and heater seperate , and i think 1 (60 gal filter ) would do on a 30 gal and why a sponge filter? is that just for fry right? so no fry get sucked up

You get what you pay for with starter kits.

Sponge filters and air pumps are cheap and provide for more growth for bacteria that an equivalent HOB filter. Most people don't use sponge filters because they don't like how it looks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaarakilla19

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Hmm okay also this will be a 30 gal standard most likley to breed 1 pair of keyhole cichlids was wondering how the stand should be set up for a pair/fry , i think ill use their fry as feeder possibly, doubt i could sell

Rocksor wrote: You get what you pay for with starter kits.

Sponge filters and air pumps are cheap and provide for more growth for bacteria that an equivalent HOB filter. Most people don't use sponge filters because they don't like how it looks.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Re: A few questions plz

,we don't use the AC cause dads n asshole and we keep i windows open.[/quote]

Lmaoooo

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Gaarakilla19 wrote:
* How to keep pollen out of your tanks, i never had an algae problem in the past 5 months since i got my O but recently the windows been down and 85 in the house ,we don't use the AC cause dads n asshole and we keep i windows open and i can tell its not algae cause hes always been by the window and never have that layer of stuff, i just got it off last w/c but ill get more off if it keeps coming i guess ;s wondering if there's anyways to prevent this

If you were to pay for the increase in electric bills when using the AC, I'm sure your Dad will be willing to turn it on.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:A few questions plz

Gara u can look up how many watts it uses then pay the difference. Find out what your electric company charges per watt from the bill, you would need to also find out how many watts the ac uses. I have something saved on my pc i can send you that would do the math for you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds