Advice on best filter/heater/substrate

• Campbell
  • Campbell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Campbell created the topic: Advice on best filter/heater/substrate

Hi there,
New to the site some really helpful things on hear. I am buying a new 55g tank for my oscar and I am after the best filter, heater , substrate best method to cycle the tank before I put him in. Basically I want him to be as happy as possible. I would buy a bigger tank however as I am on a first floor I am stuck to this size. Or have you had more luck with bigger tanks on first floors?
Any help appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 29

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Advice on best filter/heater/substrate

AC70 and a emperor 400 or AC110 for filtration , substrate you dont really need any but if you decide to i suggest gravel and no mor then an Inch tops of it, and heater , anything adjustable thats about 200 250 watts , your O will like 81-82 degree temps and you can learn how to cycle fish tansk on this site or someone else can help you out with explaination

Campbell wrote: Hi there,
New to the site some really helpful things on hear. I am buying a new 55g tank for my oscar and I am after the best filter, heater , substrate best method to cycle the tank before I put him in. Basically I want him to be as happy as possible. I would buy a bigger tank however as I am on a first floor I am stuck to this size. Or have you had more luck with bigger tanks on first floors?
Any help appreciated.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Advice on best filter/heater/substrate

What is your budget like?

You need at least 1 canister filter rated for a 100g aquarium or total flow at least 275 gph. A single classic eheim 2217 would be fine.

Get at least 4w per gallon, so a single 200 watt heater should be fine. Aqueon Pro Stealth, Via Aqua, or Eheim Jager.

I prefer pool filter sand, which is available at pool filter supply stores. About 1-2" of substrate would be fine. Or #20 silica sand if your home depot or lowes carries it.

You will also need

API Freshwater Master test kit
Python water changer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Campbell

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Re: Advice on best filter/heater/substrate

Campbell wrote: Hi there,
Any help appreciated.

Hi welcome to ofl i currently have an eheim 2217 and an ac50 on my 55. Also planning on getting a 150 or 120 gal on my first floor

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Campbell
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Campbell replied the topic: Advice on best filter/heater/substrate

Fortunately budget is not a problem I am after the best. So you would say double up on my filter and get a 100g canister filter? So Substrate does not really matter I was thinking sand. Although you mentioned that you getting a 100/150g tank on a first floor I was under the impression that it would fall trough the floor?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Advice on best filter/heater/substrate

Welcome to the community

Yeah you're right, you wouldn't be putting in one ton tanks in places that you're not sure can take the weight :-)

Filtration is fairly simple, go for a canister filter that is rated at least twice your aquarium size. In other words choose a filter that is rated up to 100 gallons plus, something like a Fluval 405, I believe these are rated just over 100 gallons and are quite good value for money. However, there are plenty of other makes of canister on the market higher sure someone else will give you the exact model that would suit your tank, but generally we recommend at least twice the filtration which will deal with the amount of waste your Oscar produces. Eheim are probably the Rolls-Royce of filters and manufacture various filters that would suit your tank, chat, one out below

www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/eheim-600-classic-canister-filter-p-342.html

As for heaters, the following heater is a fairly good but affordable model. Don't expect it to last for ever because Oscars are capable of breaking these, but I've had them before and I've not had too many problems.

www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/jager-200w-aquarium-heater-p-1288.html

As the substrate, personally I would stick with sand, preferably white which will make sure the aquarium doesn't look too dark. You can get suitable sand from a building merchant, just make sure you give it a good clean

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Campbell
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Campbell replied the topic: Advice on best filter/heater/substrate

Thanks OLF, think I will get that ehime filter. Currently have white sand in my tank but it seems to show all the dirt .is there any thing you can get to help clean that something like a current at the bottom of the tank to push it towards the filter. And I have never cycled a tank properly the aquatics shop say just to set it up with a filter and leave it for a few day. I know that's not right last thing I want is for my oscar to die when I put him in.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Advice on best filter/heater/substrate

I would strongly recommend you get a 75GL instead of a 55GL......IME a 55GL is too small long-term (too narrow) for a fish that can & most likely will get in excess of 16"+....you will find that your Oscar will quickly outgrow that 55.

I have a 6" Red Oscar right now.....I bought him when he was around 2" or so....he was fine in that 55 for a few months, but quickly outgrew it....so I made some changes after I purchased a 125GL & put the Oscar in a 75GL......I do consider 75GL bare minimum for an Oscar.

I would recommend a sump-style "wet/dry" filter....no better biological filter you can buy once it cycles. I would get an AC110 for mechanical. Not a fan of canisters.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Advice on best filter/heater/substrate

^

Does not like Rena canisters

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Advice on best filter/heater/substrate

Rocksor wrote: ^

Does not like Rena canisters

Nope.....I have never had so many issues w/ a filter in the 42 years I have been keeping fish......Rena's are big POS, if you ask me..... :pinch:

I am running an old Marineland 330 from around 1987, believe it or not.....on my 125, strictly mechanical.......I replaced the lid & the hoses.....my bro-in-law had it, I gave it to him decades ago when he was keeping fish......he still had it, gave it back to me....I replaced what I had to (they were dry-rotted) motor was sound....filled it w/ H2O & fired it up.....runs like a champ. ;)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds