55 us gallons for 1 oscar

• cichlidthinker
  • cichlidthinker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

cichlidthinker created the topic: 55 us gallons for 1 oscar

The tank dimensions is : L=40 inch W=16 inch H=20 inch

I really want the wet pet experience and this is the biggest i can get and hopefully i can put a single oscar in there its not a standard 55 (look at the dimensions) hopefully its better , if i could put a oscar in the tank could i put a single BN plec with it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: 55 us gallons for 1 oscar

Hello and welcome to OFL. The answer is no, tank is not big enough for an Oscar. Even a standard 4ft 55 is not big enough for an adult Oscar. Fish that can easily exceed 14 ins needs a lot of room. Given equal or similar volumes, a longer tank is better for an Oscar. 4ft 75g is the best minimum size to successfully raise an Oscar. You do have many options to enjoy the cichlid hobby, you just need smaller fish.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: 55 us gallons for 1 oscar

If you're talking about a bristlenose plac than I would avoid these unless you can get them as fully grown adults. I put some of these in with my Oscars and they both got munched at 4 inches.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 55 us gallons for 1 oscar

I would go with a JD...males rarely exceed 10" SL, & a single specimen would do well in that tank. An Oscar would quickly outgrow an aquarium of those dimensions.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: 55 us gallons for 1 oscar

In my (limited) experience, 55 gal isn't even suitable for a young oscar. I kept mine (and he was less than 3 inches long when I got him) and 6 silver dollars of similar size in a 55 gal while I was waiting for my 180 gal to cycle, and was needing to do daily water changes to keep the nitrates where I wanted them (below 10ppm).

I originally put my fish in the 55 gal because I had it ready to go and was ridiculously impatient to get an oscar and a few dither fish. I was originally thinking that I could keep them there for a few months until I moved house (2br unit) then get them a bigger tank, but that idea didn't last long. Within a week I'd bought the 180 gallon, and in less than 3 weeks I transferred them to it (I had a pre-existing fully cycled second filter, so I didn't have to wait long to make sure the tank had cycled).

I no longer have any room in my dining room, but it was worth it. They were almost instantaneously happier (swimming around in bubbles, more active etc) after being transferred, so yeah. Never again. Get a smaller cichlid - a small tank won't do an oscar justice, imo.

• cichlidthinker
  • cichlidthinker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

cichlidthinker replied the topic: Re:55 us gallons for 1 oscar

www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Products/Aquariums/Rio-Line/Rio-240-beech.html#!juwel-000000000000003550

Will this tank be good enough for him ?

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:55 us gallons for 1 oscar

At about 72 US gals, that is still a wee bit small as a long term Oscar home. Having a width of less than 18 ins is a bit restrictive. Its not completely unsuitable, but really at the very bottom end of ok. Standard 90US g is 122x46x63. Much better.75g is 122x46x53, still ok.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds