Moving fish to new tank

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Moving fish to new tank

Firstly I vote severum.

1) Yep gradually remove everything, fish go last. No idea, with regards to your fish's behaviour in the new tank. Personally I put my one and only piece of decoration back in before the fish when I do a tank move. The fish will hide in this and seem comforted by its familiarity.

2) Yes put old decorations in the new tank before the fish. If your replaceing your decorations, wait for the fish to adjjust to there new surroundings unless the decorations can adjust the chemical make up of the water.

3) I find resin doesn't look as natural as real wood. Whilst it can have sharp edges these can easily be removed with sanding down. If you do decide to go wood. You should put the wood in the new tank for a week or so before you move the fish to make sure its leached out anything it could. Then do a 100% water change and put the new fish in. If your desperate to move the fish then use the old tank to leech anything out and replace the decorations when the fish seem more settled in there new tank.

Sounds like a good plan for you move; althought I would do it slightly differently; each to there own. Below are my recomendations

I'm assumeing the tanks are within the same building or within feet of each other. Otherwise I would make recomendations trying to keep the heat up, keeping gravel wet filters full etc.

Make sure you level the new tank properly. Personally I level the tank when its empty leave it a day in case it moves. Then slowly fill it up and add shims/re level where neccasary. The leave for another day or so to settle further finally check the level again. If its not level then repeat the last two stages.

Make sure the tanks are the same temprature. Acclimatisation shouldn't be neccasary. The fish are more stressed when confined, so just put them straight in.

Instead of swapping media over I would run both old and new filters running on the new tank for a couple of weeks. Then to be sure I would put some of the media from the old filter into the new one if theres any space left and remove the old filters.

When moving/replaceing a filter I keep a bottle of seachem stabillity on hand. Ociasionally you will get an ammonia spike as the Bacteria adjusts to the tank volume. Seachem stabillity will stabilise any fluctaitions. It is arguably an uneccsary precaution, but I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Moving fish to new tank

Drain the tank so the water is only halfway, and then net the fish. It will be much faster if you do this. You don't need to acclimitize the fish if the water is within a 2 degree temperature range. Just put them straight into the new tank.

Tannins are good for the fish and help reduce stress.

www.researchgate.net/publication/225678447_Humic_substances_...n_and_sex_ratio_of_swordtail_%28Xiphophorus_helleriHeckel%29

iris.lib.neu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1003&context=aes

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Moving fish to new tank

Yes forgot to mention drain the tank before trying to net the fish. Personally i'd go a little under 50%, but the lower your water level the more it stresses out the fish.

Dunno how many times youve netted a fish so hears some advice which may not seem obvious.

Fish never forget what a net means; there going to freak out whatever you do with it. Try to avoid sudden movements when useing the net; slowly usher the fish into a corne. Then when the fish begins to turn try to turn the net so the fish is faceing it; with a bit of luck you fish will swim straight into it.

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Moving fish to new tank

Thanks for the tips guys definitly will come in handy

Interesting articles rock... much of it was over my head but pretty cool how it states that there technically shouldnt be many fish surviving in the Rio Negro but instead are actually thriving ...so my question is are we harming our fish with "crystal clear water "

Sosban im gonna add the safestart (we debated this a couple of months ago lol) directly into the new 2262 the day I actually move the fish. Hope all these little fish will produce enough ammonia though

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Moving fish to new tank

The water we drink is too processed too much, but it cant be helped due to storing and transporting requirements.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Guys will this be enough to heat the tank ? Jager tru temp 300 watt
www.bigalspets.com/jager-trutemp-submersible-heater-300-w.html

:) thought it would have cost more

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Moving fish to new tank

Yes, that's a good one.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Moving fish to new tank

and another one....

figuring out the best way to set up the 2262 I do want some mech filtration out of it but mainly want to optimize bio filtration.
They don't make foam pads that fit this filter so my options are ehfifix or poret foam pads cut to fit. If I go with the poret foam I would be using different sizes to match coarse and fine filter pads. If I go with the ehfifix it would be for coarse filtration below the seachem matrix and at the top of the canister add some filter floss under a thin layer of the ehfifix (just to keep the floss in place)

what do you guys think would be the best way to go ?

www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-foam-shop/

www.bigalspets.com/ehfifix-mechanical-filter-media-5-l.html

Rocksor replied the topic: Moving fish to new tank

Use coarse foam and do not use fine filter foam or pads. You will end up opening the canister sooner.

You can put a coarse foam prefilter on the intake, something similar to what is put on a mag drive pump

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Would the ac110 be sufficient as the main source of mech

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds