Plants in an Oscar tank?

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 created the topic: Plants in an Oscar tank?

Hello. I am currently experimenting with my set up for my new oscar. I plan to get him a bigger tank and a new room mate or two. I also want to add some plants if possible. I had an oscar when I was younger and always kept the tank bare. I am wondering though if it is possible to successfully keep plants in an oscar tank and what I would have to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Plants in an Oscar tank?

It would depend on the oscar, but they're generally pretty notorious for ripping up plants. Some of the hardier plants might survive, but might is the key word there. Chances are they'll end up getting torn up too.

I'd suggest trying some fake plants if you're after the look, or rocks and driftwood are always a good bet.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Plants in an Oscar tank?

Thanks. Yes, I am aware of them tearing things up and as I recall, when I was younger, my first oscar did the same (this was more than 20 years ago now). I guess I am thinking of giving it a shot anyway. My new oscar is only currently 3 inches long, so I will see if he gets use to them before getting really big. I have just tied some sword plants to pieces of driftwood; lets see how long this lasts. Ha ha. I hate plastic plants so that is not an option for me and they seem to tear those ones up too.

Reading around this forum I see that some people have planted their tanks, but I did not find any "updates" or reports back, to know if they have been successful in the long term. Perhaps the more space a give him the more likely he will be to leave them alone. Well not the end of the world if I have to get rid of them.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Plants in an Oscar tank?

Hi and welcome to OFL. many members here have no success with any live plants ~ it's just in their nature to destroy everything. But for myself - i have java ferns tied on driftwoods that he nor my silver dollars touches. it's really a hit or miss. but keep in mind ~ cleaning a bare bottom tank is much easier ~ would love to see some pictures.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Thanks for the input. The oscar so far leaves the plants alone. I worry more about my plecostomous getting them than the oscar, but when he gets biigger I guess this may well change. I feed the pleco zucchini so I hope that keeps him happy for now. Here is a photo of new 3 inch oscar and the Amazons tied to driftwood.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Plants in an Oscar tank?

The Oscar may not touch them now.....but as it approaches sexual maturity, it more than likely will. I have had success keeping Java fern, as stated previously by tehmole, but when I had SD's, they ate it like a salad. My Jag nipped them, but I presume he found it distasteful, as he now leaves the JF alone.

Your pleco may eat the AS, my Royal pleco found them to be an easy meal.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Ha ha yes to the "….." I am being optimistic here of course. I had heard/read a couple of people that claim they have succeeded in raising baby oscars in a plant environment and then they don't bother them so much as adults; but this also seems to depend on the individual oscar. I had thought about getting Silver dollars in a larger tank and moving the oscar there, but hadn't realized how much they like to eat plants. Well I will see what happens. At worst an expensive meal for my fish.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

This site is such a great resource. Having read numerous posts and threads on this forum about the helpful Pothos (devil's ivy), I just threw in (yesterday) an entire plant into my tank (washing the roots off first) in hopes of lowering the nitrate levels, which are coming in on par with the out of the tap levels.

The nitrate levels out of the tap here seem to be in the 10 - 20 ppm range and though both my tanks are cycled I was finding it impossible to get any lower nitrate readings even with frequent and large water changes. I live in Philadelphia where the city claims the water is below 10ppm (the national safe level). I will assume that my API Master test kit is a bit off though would be interested to know if anyone else in Philly has tested the water and what their results are.

In any case, the ivy looks great along with the Amazon swords I planted. Little oscar loves to pull at the exposed roots too; this could be fun. See how this goes.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds