What is the best brand(s) for making Aquariums?

• OOscarO
  • OOscarO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

OOscarO replied the topic: What is the best brand(s) for making Aquariums?

The reason I am strongly considering getting an acrylic tank is because I sleep just a few feet from my tank, I've read that acrylic is 17x stronger then glass, and the way its cemented together makes it one large piece of acrylic v.s. panes of glass put together with silicon, I also heard if it does break it breaks in a "safer" way then glass. I also wanted to get a larger system then my current 100 Gallon, I was thinking 125+ Gallons, I've mainly been looking at 160's & 180's.

Weight honestly isn't my main concern, we've got friends and family who are more then willing to help with moving, Strength/Impact resistance is my main concern, as well as how long the tank can last.

Would you feel safer sleeping by an acrylic or glass tank?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: What is the best brand(s) for making Aquariums?

Quality glass tanks are all tempered glass. Tempered is 50% stronger than plate. I have a hard time believing acrylic is 17x stronger than that. I sleep a few feet from a 135. I have 1200 gals on rather pricey hardwood flooring in other areas of my house. Something blows out, and sure, it happens, but stuff gets wet. Would have to be a very odd situation to actually be injured. Tempered glass can take a heck of a frontal blow, its a shot from the side of a bare panel that easily shatters temp glass. As for durability, as I previously mentioned, Marineland glass tanks have a LIFETIME warranty. I doubt you can find an acrylic manufacturer with the same, or even remotely close.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OOscarO
  • OOscarO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

OOscarO replied the topic: What is the best brand(s) for making Aquariums?

But if it does break, could one be "safer" then the other? Or does it really just depend on how it breaks and everything else?

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: What is the best brand(s) for making Aquariums?

Well, I have never had a blowout, nor owned an acrylic tank. But tempered glass is designed not only for strength, but safety in case of breakage. Think shattered car windshield.. thousands of tiny pieces. I would think acrylic, would shear off in bigger, potentially dangerous slabs, but honestly, I think you are worrying about VERY remote possibilities. But, to answer your question, and just my opinion of course... if I had to stand in front of a 200+gal blowout, I would take the tempered glass. Best way to safeguard against any blowout is to have the tank perfectly level to begin with, then forget the negatives and enjoy your fish!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds