Fake plants in oscar tank.

• Fielder
  • Fielder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Fielder created the topic: Fake plants in oscar tank.

Am going to set up an Oscar tank, I think. Well we used to keep large (10") Cen. Amer. Cichlids (six in tank, a 135 gallon). We used fake plants. They were plastic of course with little plastic holders on the bottom. To keep the fish from pulling them over to one side of the tank and and the other fish moving them back to the other side, we attached lead weights to the bottom of the plants which solved the problem.

Is lead OK to use in the tank? Or will it harm the fish? It did not seem to harm them before, but thought I would check here.

If lead is not O,K. is there another heavy metal that would work (lead is easy to find around here (fishing sinkers).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Fake plants in oscar tank.

I would definitely advise against using lead in a tank. Lead itself isn't soluble in water, but it can react with things in the water to form lead salts, some of which can be soluble (and dangerous).

Big CA and SA cichlids like to rearrange their tank - I don't see what the issue is really. If you have a major problem with it, try attaching the fake plants to a piece of smooth slate and burying that under the substrate or something.

Edit: Actually, there's also the risk that if a cichlid did manage to tip the plant over, that they'd then nibble on the lead which would be really bad news.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Fake plants in oscar tank.

Ancient Romans used lead pipes for conducting their drinking water, to lots of ill effect. Bad for kidneys and lots of other things in humans so probably not good for your fish. Maybe glass beads would work instead?

penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/wine/leadpoisoning.html

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Fake plants in oscar tank.

They knock it down, I put it back up. I don't see a problem. I'm at their tank daily anyway. I ain't got no problem sticking my arm in there and putting it back.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Fake plants in oscar tank.

Lead weights a no-no. Use small rocks if anything. I find my Oscars will move or shred any fake plants, anchored down or not. In particular, they hate anything red.. who knows why.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Fake plants in oscar tank.

My oscar makes my fake plants float unless I abhor them down with huge rocks. And then he just makes them float piece by piece. Mine doesn't like red as well. Even acts funny if your wearing a bright red shirt or all white shirt.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Fake plants in oscar tank.

There are some really good fake plants on the market, certainly better than wasting money on real ones because the Oscars will completely destroy them.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Fielder
  • Fielder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Fielder replied the topic: Fake plants in oscar tank.

Thanks, I think I'll try and get some slate and use that.

By the way, back few years when I kept Cichlids the larger ones moved all the plants overnight to the left side of the tank and hid in them. Meanwhile the two parents were on the other end of the tank, which was bare, watching the fry.

Didn't see them move them, but I'm guessing the non parents moved the plants, since they were the ones using them.

I might think up some sort of video camera since they are cheap nowadays. In case something happens when we're not looking to go back and see it happen ! Solve some mysteries.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds