Bought a new house, and get the honor of moving my crazy Oscar

• acdcking12
  • acdcking12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

acdcking12 created the topic: Bought a new house, and get the honor of moving my crazy Oscar

So we got an offer in for a new house. I am betting they accept. Will know by 9:30 AM this morning.

So I will get the privilege of moving my lovely and crazy Oscar. You know, the one that attacks me at every turn, but I cant help but loving him anyway.

My plan was too drain the tank to about half full. Net him and put him in a 5 gallon bucket. Drain the tank. Move the canisters, tank, etc myself. Set the tank up in the new house, use fresh water, use prime and make sure the temp is the same as what is in the bucket. Start up the canisters for a few minutes and then put the fish in his new location.

How does that sound?

It is going to be one crazy mess I am sure. But I am thrilled to move. Even if the fish won't be. Laugh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Bought a new house, and get the honor of moving my crazy Oscar

Put media in a 5 gallon bucket filled with old tank water. Canisters are pretty heavy with both media and the water. I would rather accidentally drop a bucket than a canister.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Bought a new house, and get the honor of moving my crazy Oscar

I would recommend putting a sponge filter in your tank now, so when you do move, it will be cycled. Get a battery operated air pump, attach to bucket. Then you can put the sponge filter in the bucket, & your fish will not have ammonia in the water.

Also, whatever you use to transport the fish, make sure it has a tight fitting lid. Oscars like to jump. (If you use a 5GL bucket, drill a hole in the top for air line tubing for sponge filter).

Whatever size tank you have, drain all water out, as well as any gravel. You should never move a tank w/ any water or gravel/sand weight whatsoever. To do so invites stress fractures in the glass, which is classified as "not good". ;)

I would also recommend drip acclimation before transferring to new tank.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Bought a new house, and get the honor of moving my crazy Oscar

Without a TDS meter, drip acclimitization or pouring 1-2 cups of the dechlorinated "new house" tap water into the bucket every 15-20 minutes should be done.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds