Custom Aquarium and Stand

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Custom Aquarium and Stand

Just another piece of advice.. should you ever refinish this piece. Sand it down to its natural state and rub it 3 or 4 times with teak oil. Teak shouldnt have stain or sealant on it, it looks so much better au-naturelle!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gabrielle
  • Gabrielle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Gabrielle replied the topic: Custom Aquarium and Stand

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Using a piece of furniture to hold an aquarium is courting disaster. It may hold it for a while, but over time, it will warp & then collapse.
It was not designed to hold all that weight long or short term, & no matter the material it is made of, it will fail. This is one piece of advice you should heed.

Get a stand purpose-made to hold an aquarium's weight. Otherwise you stand a very good chance of having glass & water all over the place.

Does this include the diy ones like http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/diy-articles/128-how-to-build-a-diy-aquarium-stand.html

Or you mean attempting to transform furniture for a purpose it wasn't originally intended?

• Gabrielle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: Just another piece of advice.. should you ever refinish this piece. Sand it down to its natural state and rub it 3 or 4 times with teak oil. Teak shouldnt have stain or sealant on it, it looks so much better au-naturelle!

Okay! I am not a fan of stain, I really like the look of natural wood. My grandfather, who was into that kind of thing (and also built the pond that Jack currently lives in) would usually be the one to advise me on all of these things. I regret being too young to have an interest in them when I had the chance.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Custom Aquarium and Stand

The stand in the link is well built and sturdier than a metal one. You need some skill and structure/stability knowledge to convert a furniture piece. Prob with furniture is the cheap stuff is malamine or some such laminated crap, weak and not water resistant at all. Real hardwood is pricey and should be kept as furniture. I have a 7ft 265g on a concrete block/wood structure that I made very tall so I could wedge a 120g under it. I have the tools and know how to do things like that. Just slapping wood together and driving screws and nails in something can actually weaken the structural integrity of the original piece. For the tank you are considering, I 100% recommend buying a metal stand.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabrielle

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Custom Aquarium and Stand

"Or you mean attempting to transform furniture for a purpose it wasn't originally intended?"

Yes. Like I stated, using furniture to hold an aquarium is asking for a HUGE disaster.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Custom Aquarium and Stand

Could you have a metal stand made that would fit over top your teak table? I don't mean resting on it, but tall and wide enough that the table could just fit underneath it ? Just a thought, if you are unable to find the storage space for it.

I would have to agree with everyone that your table doesn't look strong enough to hold a large aquarium. It would also be a shame to reinforce it by adding other materials, which would essentially ruin your nice piece of furniture anyway.

• Gabrielle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Poseidon2.0 wrote: Could you have a metal stand made that would fit over top your teak table? I don't mean resting on it, but tall and wide enough that the table could just fit underneath it ?

That gives me a great idea for the future.

Taking everyone's thoughts into consideration, I have decided to purchase the metal stand and the tank this weekend (if I can arrange transportation, the pet store doesn't deliver). My only concern is that the metal stand is just that; a metal stand. No extra shelf at the bottom or anything, just a single bar across so I can only rest any equipment I may need on the ground.
I want things done asap so that I can start cycling.

Any quick fixes for this? Don't particularly want aquarium paraphernalia knocking about on my floor :pinch:

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Custom Aquarium and Stand

How about some kind of large wicker container or several, like a laundry hamper? They look pretty good and can fit a variety of things in them and should be able to fit under the stand.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds