Question about tank suitability

• kiritorn
  • kiritorn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

kiritorn created the topic: Question about tank suitability

Hello. I am a new user on this website and am really keen on getting an oscar. My parents are buying a 4 foot tank that holds 240 litres.i think it's height is just under two feet. I think that makes it about 60 something us gallons. Is the tank big enough for a single adult oscar bearing in mind some of the tank will have gravel/sand and other suitable objects. Will the fish be too cramped or not have enough space? The recommended size is 75 gallons or more. What are the chances of filtration problems?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Question about tank suitability

A 55 gallon is bare minimum most will tell you that if you can go to 75 gallon do it much better long term. As for filtration what do you plan on using I currently have a similar setup and I'm using an eheim 22 17 and ac50. I couldnt see keeping an oscar in a 55 for life If it were a permanent set up I would go ac110. You will also need to buy a liquid test kit and learn about how to cycle your filters

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Question about tank suitability

Hello and welcome to the site. If you are planning to raise a baby O, then the tank you have in mind will do for up to a year. Once the fish approaches the foot long mark, then the extra 6ins width of a 75 or 90g comes into play. Filtration options are many, as long as you have substantial bio and mechanical. The key will be water changes, frequent and large volume, with thorough substrate vac at each change. Enjoy your stay at OFL, you will never be steered in the wrong direction, and we have plenty of Oscar gurus more than happy to help you out.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kiritorn

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Question about tank suitability

"some of the tank will have gravel/sand and other suitable objects"

You do not need more than a 1/4" of gravel, as gravel is really just for decorative purposes...........Oscars are very messy, & more than that is just a "dirt catcher".

You should keep decorations to a minimum............Oscars are open-water swimmers & do not need caves,etc. They will also damage themselves on too much decoration.

I would advise they get a minimum 75GL tank.....your Oscar will QUICKLY outgrow the tank you mentioned.

Filtration should be extremely efficient, both mechanically & biologically, but we should know your budget before we can advise.

When you are ready to cycle the filters, let us know.....do NOT use the Oscar as the cycling medium. They do not tolerate it well & this will make it prone to disease & stunting in the future.

I would advise you purchase a good book on the care of large cichlids.........one I always recommend is "The Cichlid Aquarium" by Dr. P.V. Loiselle.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Question about tank suitability

The guys/gals on this site are top notch and really do care about your fish most all of treat our fish as pets so you can trust the info your provided and even if someone gives you incorrect advice one of the other members will always correct it. 75 gal would be your best bet as darth and suprd stated once you decide on the tank next step is filtration and cycling. You can do a fish in or fish out. I opted for fish in using giant danios that not inly survived but thrived (doubled in size used them three different times) will take roughly two months to get cycled. A faithless cycle would require tou to add pure ammonia. Once you get the filtration figured out you can start to get more detailed info on cycling.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Question about tank suitability

Although many recommend it, I do not condone nor do I recommend "fishless" cycling. I never would recommend anyone using or handling a harsh chemical like pure ammonia....if you splash aquarium water in your eyes, you will not go blind. Ammonia on the other hand...... :pinch:

Fishless cycling is really recommended by those who think subjecting fish to high levels of ammonia is cruel, as some of them may die. I firmly believe & espouse that "fish-in" cycling is the best method. Also, if done right, choosing the right species of hardy fish, with correct stocking levels & proper WC's, a "fish-in" cycle is quite easy to do, there are no dangerous chemicals to handle, & no fish will die.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds