Resin or real

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 created the topic: Resin or real

Guys im trying to figure out how to set up the 150. Right now all of the caves or hiding places are resin the only natural things are the large rocks which I plan on adding more to the new tank. Everyone does fine with them except capone who always has some new scrapes I know the o's like open water but he still hangs out under the tree roots at night and during water changes. So I still want to provide him with some cover and need to give the other guys some cover as well. Should I movee the existing hiding spots or redo everyrhing with all natural wood? I will also add more rocks or small boulders.

Goranothos does Fred still hang out under the tree root ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Resin or real

The real advantage of natural wood is if you have a pleco, they need that. I dont expect it makes a dif to your fish. As Capone gets bigger he may not want to get under something, rather he would just hunker down behind some structure for the night. CA's like their caves, Oscars I find dont use them much. I have the same resin piece you do Frank, maybe mine is bigger, but Oscar could care less, my JD and Convict use it often.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Resin or real

My Chauncey's tank has PFS with some river rocks and fake plants, anything big enough for him to hide behind or under would take up too much room. As Capone gets bigger you'll find he will lose the need for something to hide in/under. your little guys will still need something to run to when he decides he wants to eat them. :laugh:

As far as real or fake I've had both and prefer the real, my 120 with the Carpintis is a big log and some real plants,

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Resin or real

Most of the real hides wont provide them cover... unless im not thinking creative enough

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Resin or real

What would you like? I think your plans sound good either way. When the o gets older, I doubt he will be seriously into needing shelter. Mine rarely use shelter except for water changes. They don't even sleep under anything. They actually sleep out in the open staring at the Orange light on thier heater.

I think first give what the fish needs (you already do that), then do something you like. Maybe even search the net for inspiration.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Well I kind of like the way both look but the resin is easier no soaking or tannins or fungus. The only reason I was thinking about real was because of capone always beating himself up was thinking he would have less injuries with the real wood...dunno

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Resin or real

daddadoo7 wrote: Well I kind of like the way both look but the resin is easier no soaking or tannins or fungus. The only reason I was thinking about real was because of capone always beating himself up was thinking he would have less injuries with the real wood...dunno

I originally had real pieces of driftwood that I sanded back so it had no sharp edges and a couple of completely smooth river rocks, and Henry managed to give himself some damn good head scrapes. I removed all but one piece of driftwood (this piece has practically no small branches or anything of the sort), and Henry still managed to scrape his head the other day... on the heater cover, or maybe during the night when he kamikaze leaps to attack the evil water droplets that form on his lid.

Even if Henry's tank was bare, he'd still find ways to get into trouble, and Capone sounds more accident-prone than Henry is lol, just saying.

@Purplecandle: That's exactly what Henry does! When he was a baby baby he slept under driftwood, but now he sleeps up in the corner near the heater.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

So it basically doesnt matter just go with what looks best

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Resin or real

I agree, don't matter what you put in, they will beat themselves up from time to time. That's why they heal so fast.

I've done several different resin fake wood decor, pretty much all of the larger tan pieces you get at petsmart or petco. None of them caused significant injury. Do what you like :)

@lam... lmao! I can see them saying..."ohhhhhhhhhh..preeeeettttty"

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Resin or real

That's what I reckon. I'd just avoid anything that'd invite injury/overly inquisitive oscar shenanigans.

@purple: Lol, yep! A couple of weeks ago he went through a phase where if we weren't offering him food, he was staring at the heater. I was worried about it for a bit. Now his favourite thing is to play in a filter outlet stream. He floats about 10cm away from it and all his fins flicker in the current while he slowly gets pushed away. Then he swims off all happy like, and returns a minute later to do it all again.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds