First Oscar Tank

• Jauch21
  • Jauch21's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

Jauch21 created the topic: First Oscar Tank

Hello everyone. I just set up my first oscar aquarium 110 gallons, two fluval 406 filters, and a aqueon 75 hob. My tank is almost done cycling and I had a question on a tankmate. I really want one oscar and one jack dempsey. My concern is that the two fish will be too big for it once they are grown. It is a five foot tank. I know there is always the chance they become aggressive, but I am hoping adding them both as juveniles will help. Will 110 gallons be sufficient?

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adoinc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

i think 110 gallons would be sufficient for a oscar and jack dempsey. that would leave 55 gallons per fish (we recommend 55 gallons as bare minimum for an oscar) and id say that a jack dempsey would be just a tad less.

in my experience with jack dempseys they are quite skittish as juveniles but they eventually turn into killing machines as they reach max size. i had a huge male jd that couldnt have anything with it (except a female i found him) now i have 1 male that i kept from that fry and hes about 10'' and isnt anywhere as aggressive as his dad. i dont keep him with my oscars though.

your concerns are completely legitimate and its smart to post before you get in over your head. like i said - i think it can be done.... but if it really concerns you about space you can get a tankmate that doesnt get as big as a jack dempsey like a firemouth or convict. a lot of people would recommend a school of silver dollars to you for the 110.

if you have any other questions feel free to ask. i know this is your first oscar tank - but it seems that you have experience in the aquarium hobby. good choice of filters btw. good luck with the tank! welcome to the forum! keep us posted and stick around :)

• Jauch21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Jauch21 replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

I was also considering maybe an oscar convict and fire mouth. Or maybe just the convict.

I've had an aquarium before and made every mistake someone could make. As far as not cycling and too many fish. Learned from all that.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

make sure to use a liquid test kit to make sure your tank is cycled before adding fish.

• Jauch21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Yes I've learned to do that too. Before I cheaped out and regretted it.

• Thank you received: 0

Wizzah replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

It could work, but it also couldn't, depends on the individual fish, just give it a go, but have a back up plan if things go sour, good luck bud!

• Jauch21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

My biggest concern is the tank looking too crammed with two large cichlids. My buddy has a 300 gallon and would always take a fish I had to get rid of it.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

How are you cycling and for how long?

• Jauch21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Fish less cycle with pure ace ammonia for as long as it takes. Looks like it's close to being done.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:First Oscar Tank

Welcome to OFL. Your concerns are correct. JD can get quite large, and while your tank is 110 gallons, the 5 foot long foot print is your limiting factor. I wouldn't do another large cichlid, at most I would go with the con or firemouth like you mentioned. Or the silver dollars. 110 gallons is a bit less water than I'd keep 2 large cichlids in as well. Put up some pics and vids when you get setup.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds