First Oscar Tank

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:First Oscar Tank

You could also go with an acara. Many cool species to choose from. I have a yellow acara (aequidens metae) check www.tangledupincichlids.com he has a few less common acara species you might like. Ivanacara is another one that's cool but im not sure if they get big enough. Red head tapajos are nice too and I heard they do not have read o be kept in a group.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:First Oscar Tank

Hello and welcome. Good tank, filtration nice to see the asking of advice before jumping in. I have a JD/Oscar combo that works very well. Tank is 265gals, has 3 other fish in. I had for a year JD and Oscar in a 135g. Was good until Oscar became twice the size of JD, and JD was in trouble. Put smaller Oscar in, and JD became the bully. I believe tankspace plays a big role in compatibility. The big Oscar now has its own 5ft 120g, it is 12-13ins, and fills the tank out quite well. You want something very cool, keep your Oscar alone, feed a premium diet, and treat him to large frequent water changes. Oscars well over a foot long are quite special in the hobby imo. Quite a few members here at OFL have such specimens, they are all spectacular.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

Jauch21 wrote: Hello everyone. I just set up my first oscar aquarium 110 gallons, two fluval 406 filters, and a aqueon 75 hob. My tank is almost done cycling and I had a question on a tankmate. I really want one oscar and one jack dempsey. My concern is that the two fish will be too big for it once they are grown. It is a five foot tank. I know there is always the chance they become aggressive, but I am hoping adding them both as juveniles will help. Will 110 gallons be sufficient?

Thanks

Adding as juveniles help a little in that the cichlid doesn't claim the whole tank as their territory. When you only keep 1 cichlid in the tank, and only that cichlid, adding other fish gets really hard to do later on like a year or months later.

Those 2 are doable in a 5 foot long as they tolerate each other. My first cichlids, 2 oscars and a jd did fine for the first 3 years until I went on travel for 2 weeks at a time, and then aquarium cleaning became difficult. I've had male JDs that were pretty skittish, and would not do anything to the oscars that I kept.

If you see aggression between the 2 you can always put a divider to keep them separated. Once the oscar gets larger, and it will due to the speed of their growth, the JD will be less likely to confront it.

• Jauch21
  • Jauch21's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

Jauch21 replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

everyone has been very helpful. And as much as I didn't want to hear it, I think I only have enough room for the Oscar. I don't want to overstock, and I would much prefer a healthy full grown oscar. I may add a group of silver dollars, but i've decided on only one oscar. I've also heard giant danios could possibly work. ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all starting to look good, so hopefully it's done soon.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

giant danios could work - but they dont get that big and dont have the height like silver dollars are.

there is a pretty solid chance that the danios will be a snack one day.

i found this on youtube.....clearly the danios are bite sized but the oscars dont seem to pay any mind

i would prefer danios over silver dollars.....but it might not work. if you want to go with danios do it now.... as they can withstand ammonia levels and help your tank cycle.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:First Oscar Tank

Red line torpedo barbs are really nice too

giant danios will be midnight snacks in about 2-3 years, the same will happen with the more expensive roselines

The oscars will learn to hunt at night while either of those fish are sleeping.

• Jauch21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Rocksor wrote: giant danios will be midnight snacks in about 2-3 years, the same will happen with the more expensive roselines

The oscars will learn to hunt at night while either of those fish are sleeping.

This is the first time i've heard this and it makes perfect sense. I was looking at oscars today. The juvenile oscars that do not have a lot of color and are mostly grey, will they develop the color with age? Or should I try and find one that is full of color already?

Dont' fall in love with their color right now. It will change as they grow.

• Jauch21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Any recommendations on where I buy my first oscar? Locally I only have a Petsmart and Petco. Would online be a better option? Thanks for all the replies, I know I probably started this thread in the wrong section.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds