First Oscar Tank

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Re:First Oscar Tank

one oscar, 8 silverdollars :) they will make sure your oscar comes out and has to compete for food. my 10 sd's keep my O very busy as he actually has to hunt the pellets (sd's are bottomless pits)

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Re: First Oscar Tank

Jauch21 wrote: Any recommendations on where I buy my first oscar? Locally I only have a Petsmart and Petco. Would online be a better option? Thanks for all the replies, I know I probably started this thread in the wrong section.

It depends what you want if you want something different then online may be your best bet. If your looking for a tiger, red, or albino then stay local. I got my bumblebee oscar from jeff rapps at the website I replied with earlier

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

"My tank is almost done cycling "

Sorry if I missed it, but how long has this cycle been going on?

And as stated, a 5FT "footprint" limits what you can have....a 110GL is a great tank for Discus, Angels, & other laterally compressed cichlids, but Oscars, not so much.

I'm w/ Rock...I had GD's in w/ my Jag in a 125GL, & 1X1 they disappeared @ night. I now have 2 Tinfoli barbs, & they seem to be ok....for now. :evil:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Jauch21
  • Jauch21's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

Jauch21 replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

It's been cycling for almost two months. So you don't believe 110 gallons is enough for one oscar? A lot of people say 75 is minimum, I thought 110 would be ok.

• Jauch21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

And I am only going to stick with an oscar. Maybe down the road I'll be able to afford a bigger tank. They are never big enough lol

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

Jauch21 wrote: It's been cycling for almost two months. So you don't believe 110 gallons is enough for one oscar? A lot of people say 75 is minimum, I thought 110 would be ok.

Oh no, plenty big for 1 Oscar, but not 2.

Shoot for a 125GL one day......6FT tank, versatile size, not too heavy if you have to move. I had a 180GL a while ago, & I sold it, as I was going to move & it was 330 lbs dry....I moved it in, no way I was moving it out.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jauch21

• Jauch21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Oh good. I never considered the weight of much larger tanks. Good advice.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

Jauch21 wrote: It's been cycling for almost two months. So you don't believe 110 gallons is enough for one oscar? A lot of people say 75 is minimum, I thought 110 would be ok.

A number of people on this site have oscars in a 5 foot tank. A 6 foot long tank would be better is all. It is not the gallonage so much as the length and width (though within certain minimums), i.e., the "foot print", more room to move around as up and down movement is less important for an oscar. I am going to get a 120 that is 5 feet long as recommended by others here. Only so much space or I would get a longer one.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: First Oscar Tank

Jauch21 wrote: Oh good. I never considered the weight of much larger tanks. Good advice.

With acrylic tanks, weight is negligible going from a 5 footer 110g to a 6 footer 125g. Heck, 2 people can carry a 8 foot 240g aquarium with little problem. Now when you talk about glass tanks, that's a whole different story.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Re: First Oscar Tank

Poseidon2.0 wrote:

A number of people on this site have oscars in a 5 foot tank. A 6 foot long tank would be better is all. It is not the gallonage so much as the length and width (though within certain minimums), i.e., the "foot print", more room to move around as up and down movement is less important for an oscar. I am going to get a 120 that is 5 feet long as recommended by others here. Only so much space or I would get a longer one.

Poseidon I was about to get a 5 ft tank until my son and I convinced my wife to let us go 6ft. Glasscages.com has a 5ft 150 gallon the 2ft width is cool. Their shipping costs to my area were insane but it might be worth it for you to check them out

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds