Large Rocks... Dangerous?

• Adoinc
  • Adoinc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Adoinc created the topic: Large Rocks... Dangerous?

So I will be getting a 180 gallon oscar tank. (My 1st oscar tank :woohoo: ) I'm looking for a slow flowing white water (as opposed to blackwater, not rapids) biotope river setup but want large rocks in the tank for aesthetic reasons. I was reading in a book saying oscars are capable of moving (and toppling) some very large and heavy things around their tank. I want it to be bare bottomed but I'm not sure how well the glass will do around oscars pushing heavy rocks in the tank.

The rocks will be about this big in relative to the size of the tank:

^^^ No plants but there will also be some pieces of bogwood that I am concerned about. The tank is still a couple months down the road, but I don't want the glass cracking or scratching, thus weakening the tank.

Would it be safe enough or should I add something to protect the aquarium floor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Large Rocks... Dangerous?

youll be fine :)

anything that they can actually move would still be small enough that it wouldn't do any damage. remember that rocks fall with much less force in water as well.

just be sure that any kind of rock that stands tall wont topple over with a little budge. ive scared myself a few times from dropping and banging the glass when rearranging.... my heart dropped but it does go to show you that the glass is sometimes stronger then you think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adoinc

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Large Rocks... Dangerous?

Yup glass is tougher than you think, especially in the larger tanks where it's 1/2 inch thick or so. I have lots of small medium and large rocks in my tank and my oscar moves them. I have sand in my tank but a bare bottom tank will make them easier to move. Don't pile them too much and as said, don't stand any that will topple. The bottom of the tank will get scratched no matter what you put in there, but make sure to keep any easily moved ones away from the front viewing pane to avoid scratches there if rocks get moved and scrape the side. My oscar is constantly trying to move some I put in the back corner that are fist sized and bigger and it sounds like he is coming though the side sometimes. You can hear the rocks banging the glass all through the house. Wife's getting used to it now but she used to think someone was breaking in downstairs. And just like the glass, large bodied fish like oscars are stronger than you think. Mines been a little PO'd at me for the last week or so due to some tank changes, and even when he is sitting right at the glass he can bang the tank hard enough to make a loud thump with his head. This is to get my attention for some live grasshoppers I've come to discover.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Large Rocks... Dangerous?

LOL, yea you should heard the noise Fred makes if I accidentally leave a pellet on top of the glass lid.

Sounds like a great tank Adoinc. Do you have your stocking figured out yet? Be sure and post pics here.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Adoinc
  • Adoinc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Adoinc replied the topic: Large Rocks... Dangerous?

Sure thing. Not quite set up yet though. My biggest tank before this was 55 gallons. Before I put the water in I need a support beam under the fish tank lol. (4th floor)

Nope, stocking isn't quite figured out. Hopefully up soon!

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Large Rocks... Dangerous?

Just be careful not to use any rocks with sharp edges, when my Oscars spook they bang around like crazy and will take scales off. Same goes for driftwood if you are planning to use any. Like to see some photos when you are setup.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds