Easy to clean gravel

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Easy to clean gravel

I paid $15 for 25 lbs of black sand at petsmart. Mixed it with 50 lbs of PFS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish replied the topic: Re:Easy to clean gravel

Do you have a tractor supply or Rural king in your area? Always a good bet to find sandblasting material.

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Easy to clean gravel

Jbare your tank looks great but I have had gravel, lfs sand, and pfs sand. By far the easiest was pfs but agian some extra care is taken if there was black pfs sand I would go that rout but lfs sand was a nightmare for me lol

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Easy to clean gravel

I suck out a good deal of my pool filter sand every time I do a vacuum. My water pressure is so low that I cut the gravel vac off the end of my Python and just use the plastic hose to vacuum. I had to in order to suck the poop up the tube, but I always remove sand as well. I imagine I will eventually have to add more PFS.

Not going back to gravel though. I love the convenience of the poop laying on top of the sand, as opposed to falling down inside the gravel, especially with my water pressure problems.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Easy to clean gravel

I was utterly shocked by how much was hidden in my gravel, I vacuum weekly and it was disgusting IMO. I've only had the sand a few days but so far so good.

Daddadoo...I've had no issues with LFS sand, but I'm hoping that this being 75% PFS that the 25% LFS won't cause an issue.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Easy to clean gravel

G I love pfs wish they made it in black

Jbare if I go with gravel I wouldnt do more than 1/2 maybe an inch of it easier to clean...just keep an eye on your impeller check it for sand im sure you will be fine. That stuff is really light and gets kicked up easily

• Thank you received: 35

AZ Steve replied the topic: Easy to clean gravel

Igit my sand at petco. They have black and white. I rinsed ALOT of the smaller dusty particles out b4 I put it in. Still gotta be careful. Sand is the way to go IMO. I love it easy to spot poo. I have a long Turkey baster type thing I use as a pooper scooper lol. Plus I think Sarge likes it better(easier to dig) :-)

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Easy to clean gravel

How big did Sarge get before he started digging? Henry's just on 6 inches and he's pretty obsessed with random objects in the tank so I don't think he's far off. Yesterday it was the FX5 inlet - today it was a fake plant and a rock, and tonight it's the heater. I'm also thinking my RD might appreciate sand more than gravel. She digs like crazy and builds gravel walls.

Anyway, I use PFS in my O's tank but I absolutely suck at siphoning it. I've got the same issue as Goranothos so I also just use a plastic hose to vacuum, but I vacuum out more sand than poop.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Easy to clean gravel

Lammergeier wrote: How big did Sarge get before he started digging? Henry's just on 6 inches and he's pretty obsessed with random objects in the tank so I don't think he's far off. Yesterday it was the FX5 inlet - today it was a fake plant and a rock, and tonight it's the heater. I'm also thinking my RD might appreciate sand more than gravel. She digs like crazy and builds gravel walls.

Anyway, I use PFS in my O's tank but I absolutely suck at siphoning it. I've got the same issue as Goranothos so I also just use a plastic hose to vacuum, but I vacuum out more sand than poop.

How deep is your tank? Having a longer vacuum tube helps. With a 12" vacuum tube, I sucked up more sand than a 24" vacuum tube in my 24" deep tank.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Re: Easy to clean gravel

Guys what donyou think about the two colors ? The tank will be painted black and have a large peice of malaysian driftwood and a couple of peices of mopani dw also some whitish rocks/boulders and a fake plant or two
Estes spectra stone black

Or estes nature blends deep river

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds