90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

• DanEffler
  • DanEffler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

DanEffler created the topic: 90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Ok so this is my first post so I hope ive got the in the right place. If not feel free to move it.

Ok so I purchased two baby oscars online and had them shipped to me. But then I found out that may not have bee. The best choice for the setup I have in mind. Right not the are in a 40gallon breeder tank (grow out tank) and will be going to my 90 gallon (real calculation closer to 80) tank.
So I have decided to rehome one of the Oscars and look into alternative tank mates. I have read on here that severums and black convicts make good tank mates for oscars. So my question is could I have one of each in the 90?
1 Oscar
1 green severum
1 black convict

If so can I get them now as babies 1-2" and place them in the 40B with the one oscar until they are read to move to the 90? Im unsure on growth rates of the different species.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Welcome to OFL. Congrats on the oscar. You are doing the right thing by rehoming one of them. The time to get your oscar in the 80 gallon tank is now. The 40 gallon is too small to grow out oscars. Is there any reason they can't be in the bigger tank? As for a tankmate I wouldn't get a Severum. They get a decent size and in a tank that small there isn't much room for much more than an adult oscar. Maybe a con or some silver dollars. Your oscar will grow fast, and unless you've ever raised them before it's hard to appreciate just how fast they do grow, and how big they get. Your oscar will fill that 80 gallon before you know it. Tell us some more about your setup. What filtration you have for it? heater? Substrate? Ect... and we can give you some recommendations on things. Oscars need lots of clean water as well, so you'll want a python water changer or the likes, to make life easier. Also get yourself a liquid test kit such as the API freshwater master kit. It's a must have to get your tank in good shape and keep it there.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• DanEffler
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

DanEffler replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

The 80/90 is currently occupied with 4 large goldfish 2 of which I am going to rehome and then move to the 40B.
As for filtration on the 80 I have a aquaclear 110 hob and a sunsun aka aquatop 304B (I think) its the 525 gph no UV.
Substrate I have petco brand black and white sand along witth some 1"-4" river stones. It is planted with mainly anubias plants but also has some others that I cant remember the name of right off hand. The heater is a fluval glass one so I will have to replace it. Im looking at a titanium heater (cant remember the brand right at this moment)
I also do large water chages on the tank with the goldfish due to them also being a high waist fish. I also use a api freshwater master test kit along with the gh/kh testn

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Hello Dan, and welcome to OFL. If this 80 or 90g tank is a permanent Oscar home, I would leave it as a single fish tank. Oscars need room, and a big O will need all of that tank to itself. I concur with moving fish in asap, 40g is just too small, even for small Oscars. Enjoy your stay, everything Oscar related is right here, you will never get bad advice.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Welcome to the forum Dan. I have been raising an oscar in a 55 gal with a small catfish for a few months until I had enough $$$ to purchase a 150 (be here sunday thank god) and that fish owns the entire tank he flips out if someone touches the glass so there is no way I would even think about putting another cichlid in with him. I suspect the cat survives because he is extremely nocturnal. Though the 90 has more gallons and will allow you a little wiggle room with keeping up with your water if you must have some tank mates maybe look into something that wont take up the same space as your o like bottom dwelling fish such as acara's ( yellow acara very nice looking fish) or maybe a smaller type of catfish.

• DanEffler
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

If possible id like to have 3 fish but I dont like silver dollars. Would a featherfin catfish work or a bichir as the third fish? I had a featherfin once and I know they grow fast. But are also messy.... so I dont know if they would work.
Ive also concidered rope fish but from what I can find out I dont think that would be a good choice either.

• Thank you received: 35

AZ Steve replied the topic: 90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

I have my O Sarge in a 90 by himself and he fills it out nicely :-) Depending on your filtration and wc schedule you could probably have a tank mate. I had a stripped Raphael cat. they have pretty good armor to protect themselves. But Sarge figured out he could pick him up and smash him against the glass(the method he used to eat the mystery snails whe i first got him) so I had to rehome the cat. ultimately it's down to if your O will tolerate what ever you put in with it....and for how long..lol :evil:

• DanEffler
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

So how long does it take an oscar to become a giant?

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

They take about a year or so to get to a foot, if given the right conditions and space, but they keep filling out in height and width for years after that. They also continue to grow in length after that initial burst of growth, but they pretty much reach full size in about three years. I guess some could still grow a little even after that. All of this is relative to individual Oscars of course; they can vary in size even under ideal conditions.

• DanEffler
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

DanEffler replied the topic: Re:Re: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Poseidon2.0 wrote: They take about a year or so to get to a foot, if given the right conditions and space, but they keep filling out in height and width for years after that. They also continue to grow in length after that initial burst of growth, but they pretty much reach full size in about three years. I guess some could still grow a little even after that. All of this is relative to individual Oscars of course; they can vary in size even under ideal conditions.

Ok so a year to get to that 12" in size that requires a 55gal tank?
So my 2" (nose to tip of tailfin) has by himself will have at leats 6 months easily before he outgrows the 40B right? I just cant see putting a 2" fish by himself is an 80 gallon tank.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds