90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Re: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

No. The 55 gal should be set up well before the O gets to be 12 inches. Giving the fish a smaller environment will mean that he may never grow to be a foot long. You should move him sooner rather than later. They grow fast! He won't be 2 inches for long.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DanEffler
  • DanEffler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

DanEffler replied the topic: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Poseidon2.0 wrote: No. The 55 gal should be set up well before the O gets to be 12 inches. Giving the fish a smaller environment will mean that he may never grow to be a foot long. You should move him sooner rather than later. They grow fast! He won't be 2 inches for long.

I think you mis understood me. Im not going to put him in a 55 gal. I was just comparing the 40B to the 55 saying its not much smaller than what is considered the min for a full grown oscar so it should be good until its half grown right?
I was wanting to know how long it would take to reach that mark. Say 6". I would move him to the 80gall then.
I want to at least see a fish when I look at my tank lol.

I hope that clears things up. Sorry for the confusion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish replied the topic: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

The larger the water volume, the better the fish health regardless of size. Your small Oscar will thrive much better in larger tank. Its a lot more beneficial to his health as water conditions would be extremely better. Small Oscars create a ton of waste. Since you have the tank I would recommend taking advantage of it. You will have one happy Oscar on your hands...

• DanEffler
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

DanEffler replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

You guys are going to end up talking me into it even if I dont want to right now aren't you? Lol
Hope it dont take too long to grow up.
Well if I move him ill have the water volume to go ahead and get what tank mate(s) he will have. Would i honestly be better with a different cichlid or a non cichlid? I like the idea of the school of silver dollars but dont like silver dollars. Is there another fish that would work?
I hear rosy barbs get 6" would they be an option?

• Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Check these out..I am also going to get one

Blue Acara - Andinoacara pulcher - 8"

"These little chaps can be fairly aggressive so will stand up to Oscars. My advice would be to purchase these as adults as they can find it difficult to compete for food when they are very small, especially if you got more than one Oscar. "

Ps...your Oscar will grow fast....do weekly water changes and give him a good diet and watch him grow in front of your eyes!

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

I dont recommend putting any tankmate with an Oscar in a 4ft aquarium, regardless of volume. If you want a long lived, large healthy Oscar, say 10yrs old and 14 or more inches, it will need all of that tank. Thats an observation from several decades worth of Oscar care. They do great on their own, with space and clean water. A very rewarding fish if given optimum care.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• DanEffler
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Well I appreciate all for your recommendations.
In the end like with all captive animals (chickens, fish, reptiles etc...) more space is better so ill do just that. Oscar only for now. If I upgraded later to a larger 6' tank we will revisit the discussion of tank mates. Thank you everyone for your input and help in this matter.

Now back to the tank itsself.
The filtration will be one sunsun canister (525 gph model) and one AC 110. Is this a good filtration setup for an Oscar? What would you recommend for weekly WC schedule? (Both now and as adult)
Whats the take of decor? Should I provide a "cave" or is that necessary?

Any other input in this line is also welcome.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Yes, the canister plus hob is a good filtration setup. Testing your water will give you an indication of water change requirements. Strive to keep nitrate levels under 20ppm, I like closer to 10. The more often you do large volume changes, the better you fish will do with growth, coloration and longevity. While small, a single 75% weekly change will be ok. As the fish grows and more waste is produced, you should up that to every 4 days or so. Keep decor to a minimum as to not reduce swim space, couple rocks and maybe a hunk of driftwood. Oscar likes to get behind some structure, mostly to sleep, but actually getting inside something like a cave is something they generally dont do.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• DanEffler
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ok sorry to be gone so long. Right now I have the one oscar in the 80 gal. I know he will grow but the tank just seems empty :( one 3" fish dont do it justus. Hopefully I will start to see this fantastic growth you all speek about soon. I still wish I could do some other fish. Maybe not another cichlid but something. A schooling fish would be awesome but form what I read in I tank under a few hundred gall its pretty much silver dollars or nothing.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Giant danios might work as well or may become snacks. He will fill that tank once 12-13 inches. Have patience. I have one in a 6 foot 125 gallon with a 4" and 1" HRP's. The oscar at 12 inches really does fill the tank. I have the bio room for something else but not sure if I want to cut into his space.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds