90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

I have to second what the others are telling you. I have a 150 with an oscar, hrp, yellow acara, and green phantom pleco. I also had 4 larger silver dollars in with them and a bumblebee cat rehomed the cat and the sd's because its just not enough space and even with the three cichlids that remain there is bickering between the hrp thats about 2-2.5 inches and the yellow acara. Gwt some non cichlid dithers like the others have mentioned will be easier than learning the hard way lol I may try some denisen barbs but will be prepared for the day they become snacks
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanEffler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: 90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

I like to not have busy tanks so I tend to have one or two fish and then I devote energy towards aquascaping.

Aquascaping itself is a hobby and just as expensive as general fish keeping.

You wouldn't believe how nice aquascaping can "fill" a tank.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: 90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

You did the right thing going with a single Oscar. The rapid growth rate is completely geared to clean water, tankspace and quality diet. Tend to those items and next year at this time, maybe sooner you will have a foot long beauty. I know the tank looks bare with a single wee one in, but that will change. I have a single 4in fish alone in a 6ft 125g. Now that looks empty! In 2yrs, possibly less, it will need bigger. I also have single large Oscars and a Jaguar alone in 6ft tanks. Foot long fish fill them out plenty.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Some input:

Stocking requirements for large omnivorous/carnivorous cichlid species like Oscars is always based on eventual adult size of species to be kept, regardless of current size of fish. Husbandry techniques for cichlids are VASTLY different in requirements than other species of fish, & to assume otherwise is foolhardy.

Compatibility of cichlids kept together in the same aquarium is never guaranteed. Moreover, most cichlid species do not appreciate the presence of conspecifics outside of breeding, & even then it can be a challenge to have them not murder each other. Heterospecifics are usually seen as competition for food/territory.

When dealing with large cichlid species, even the largest home aquaria is a drop in the bucket. Cichlids need space, & LOTS of it to thrive, which should be the goal of anyone wishing to keep them. When denied this most basic of needs, they will succumb to a host of stress-related maladies.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: 90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

purplecandle wrote: I like to not have busy tanks so I tend to have one or two fish and then I devote energy towards aquascaping.

I am going to require to see some pictures of your tank please. B)

• DanEffler
  • DanEffler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

DanEffler replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

I have to admit this is difficult for me. Its pretty much the exact opposite from any of the past fish I have had. I have had several tropicals and goldfish (which have much greater requirements than most believe) but this is my first true attempt at a cichlid species. And it appears I did not choose an easy beginner like I thought lol.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Just curious....how did you come to the assumption that Oscars are a "beginner" fish?

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• DanEffler
  • DanEffler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

DanEffler replied the topic: Re:90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Pet store lady lol

I said "im wanting to try something different. Maybe some cichlids. I hear they suppose to have lots of personality. "

She told me. " an oscar is a good hardy beginner cichlid and get a good size so you will need a big tank."

I told her I had an 80 gallon set up and she told me that would be good for a couple and some filler fish.

I told her id think about it and left (they did not have any that I thought looked nice) so I found some on ebay and got one. Then soon after I came here...

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Steer clear of this person. Has little to no knowledge of cichlid care, as 80GL is sufficient for one Oscar, & they are the exact opposite of a "beginner" fish.

Please post a video of this tank so we can see what's going on.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: 90 gallon oscar and friends? Setup.

Poseidon2.0 wrote:

purplecandle wrote: I like to not have busy tanks so I tend to have one or two fish and then I devote energy towards aquascaping.

I am going to require to see some pictures of your tank please. B)

I can never get photos to work here, so here are some links to my gallery on another fish forum. Most of these are old, but you can see I'm a bit of a hoarder.

www.thepufferforum.com/ug/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=34241&g2_serialNumber=2

www.thepufferforum.com/ug/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=36227&g2_serialNumber=2

www.thepufferforum.com/ug/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=36096&g2_serialNumber=2

www.thepufferforum.com/ug/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=36180&g2_serialNumber=2

Here is the old Oscar tank, but the bigger one is exactly the same, except for a few small changes and the addition of a giant flat rock since they insist on constantly having babies. I really need new fish pics.
www.thepufferforum.com/ug/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=36085&g2_serialNumber=2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds