First Oscar Aquarium!

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: First Oscar Aquarium!

Hello and welcome. All good advice so far, you have chosen the best cichlid site anywhere. I am most interested in how you plan to cut 12mil glass. I have done some DIY myself, and in my city of 60,000, with several glass shops, nobody can cut half inch plate glass. I have to order cut to fit my plans. Just curious. I am a millwright/ machinist by trade so dont gimme the gears. Thats your welcome-intro- joke of the day! All biz from now on.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JamJar
  • JamJar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

JamJar replied the topic: First Oscar Aquarium!

Hey suprd71 !

I own a maintenance company here in dubai and i have a aluminium/glass fabricator company that works along side me so i won't be cutting it with my hand personally :P

sizes of my tank have changed !! I've ordered the glass and should be here next week i will be building the support frame with blocks like a guy i see on here i will just be making space for the sump (which i bought earlier as there was one going cheap online) and pump.. i will be also insulating it so the pump noise it to a minimum

new dimensions of my tank are:

230cm L X 60cm H X 50cm W

giving me 750L/190 US Gal

I'm just having a real hard time on deciding on what fish to order! its killing me as i want as much colour in the tank as possible as i know my wife will give me so much grief if there isn't any "pretty" fish in the tank

i think oscars are beautiful but some women thin otherwise :P

thanks for the replays and i will be starting a thread with my aquarium project tomorrow once i start the frame.

Hey Jam, thx for the reply. Good luck with the tank. As for fish, well, options are many, but mixing cichlids is always a coin toss. Sometimes works well, sometimes not. A huge plus to start with is not to overstock. Keep shopping around, ask whatever you like about your preferences, you will surely get some opinions.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: First Oscar Aquarium!

You will have a nice size tank to keep fish in. I have always found it easier to buy my fish all at a small size and grow them out together. I know this is not always possible but if you can start them off small they seem to figure things out better and aggressive interactions just seem to be much fewer.

• JamJar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

DMD123 wrote: You will have a nice size tank to keep fish in. I have always found it easier to buy my fish all at a small size and grow them out together. I know this is not always possible but if you can start them off small they seem to figure things out better and aggressive interactions just seem to be much fewer.

yeah I've decided to go with starting small il get the at around 4-5 inch and watch them grow :)

my mind is zoo twisted on what i can put in my tank i just can't bare the thought of spending all this time and money to only house 2-3 fish :0

• JamJar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: Hey Jam, thx for the reply. Good luck with the tank. As for fish, well, options are many, but mixing cichlids is always a coin toss. Sometimes works well, sometimes not. A huge plus to start with is not to overstock. Keep shopping around, ask whatever you like about your preferences, you will surely get some opinions.

my mind is going around in circles lol I've come up with a smaller list and i think i might have got it right this time…. :D

1 Oscar
1 Jack Dempsey

maybe
3-4 silver dollar
1 firemouth

any suggestions on how to get a tank with 6 fish but 2 of them being an oscar and a blue jack dempsey as there my 2 fav fish :D

as i haven't owned a oscar/cichlid tank i don't know about the bio load so no idea what i can house.. id be really happy with 6-8 fish along i had the jack and oscar ...

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: First Oscar Aquarium!

I find you have a couple large main fish that are open swimmers and then fill in with some smaller bottom and top dwellers it all just comes into its own. A lot will depend on your fish of course. In my tank if it were not for my red bay snook I likely could keep a schooling fish like Australian rainbows in with my other fish. Maybe even a large live bearer like a molly. Oscars are some of the worst when it comes to small tankmates but you could try it. Look at other fish like plecos, catfish, bichir. You have a ton of options with your future tank.

O and JD are hit and miss. I have a large male, very mild mannered fella, lives in a 265 community with very large Oscar, Severum, Convict and Tinfoil barb. All good there. I have a smaller male, currently chillin in his own 75. My big Oscars hate him, but he would bully my juvie Oscar and anything else near his size. Bit of a troublemaker, this guy. My juvie has put on a couple inches since I separated them, I may try them again together. I do have good luck with Severums and Oscars. Sevs come in dif colors and patterns, a very nice cichlid.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:First Oscar Aquarium!

Hi and welcome to OFL you have received plenty of good advice and pleasing to see you are taking this onboard. To keep cichlids healthy especially large cichlids like Oscars their are 2 things you need research and patience,you are doing the research but you also need to be a little patient.A few members has suggested you read up on the nitrogen cycle, a process that will take 8-10 weeks to complete,that is before you can put Oscars in your tank.I know once you decide to get into fish keeping its hard to wait but be patient and it will make it all more the worthwhile.Looking forward to seeing some photos of your tank build once you start,once again welcome.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: First Oscar Aquarium!

Suprd71 wrote: I do have good luck with Severums and Oscars. Sevs come in dif colors and patterns, a very nice cichlid.

Can you come here and tell Henry and Adie that please? They don't listen to me. :pinch:

On topic, if you go for SDs I would suggest keeping them in a larger group than 3 or 4. I'd go for 5 minimum, but the more the merrier. I have 9 of them and they're so much fun to watch. When they're hungry my 6 x 2 becomes a blur of silver circles darting around at the front of the tank. They need a lot of swimming space, but their bioload is low. They also do a better job of being a clean-up crew than the typical fish people get to do that (plecos etc) by far.

190 US gal isn't going to net you a *lot* of fish unless you skip out on the oscar and go for a cichlid with a lower bioload. I'm not maxed out, but bioload wise I wouldn't want to add much more than 1 oscar, 1 sev and 9SDs in my 180 US gal. I could maybe squeeze 1 more sev or something like a blue acara/firemouth, but that'd definitely be pushing it when they get bigger.

If I were you I'd go 1 oscar,1 sev, and 1 blue acara (if there was room for a 4th I'd get an ellioti - related to firemouths). If you didn't want a sev you could try a JD instead, but JDs can be hit or miss like Suprd said, and I wouldn't want to try an acara or firemouth with one as they tend to occupy the same area of the tank. Finally, I'd round out the tank with 5 - 6 SDs.

Or, y'know, you could get 1 oscar and just get like 20+ SDs :silly:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds