First Oscar Aquarium!

• JamJar
  • JamJar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

JamJar replied the topic: First Oscar Aquarium!

DMD123 wrote: I find you have a couple large main fish that are open swimmers and then fill in with some smaller bottom and top dwellers it all just comes into its own. A lot will depend on your fish of course. In my tank if it were not for my red bay snook I likely could keep a schooling fish like Australian rainbows in with my other fish. Maybe even a large live bearer like a molly. Oscars are some of the worst when it comes to small tankmates but you could try it. Look at other fish like plecos, catfish, bichir. You have a ton of options with your future tank.

Hey sorry for late reply i have to google all these names of fish :0

ok now this is interesting! whats the bioload like with a Bichir ?? there cool! they look like an eel? kind of :/

im not a fan of plecos i used to love them but after having a 1.5ft pleco in with my turtles they have to be the dirtiest creatures in the water! i thought turtles were bad!

thanks for the advise its all taken onboard :)

still working out this boiload drama ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JamJar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: O and JD are hit and miss. I have a large male, very mild mannered fella, lives in a 265 community with very large Oscar, Severum, Convict and Tinfoil barb. All good there. I have a smaller male, currently chillin in his own 75. My big Oscars hate him, but he would bully my juvie Oscar and anything else near his size. Bit of a troublemaker, this guy. My juvie has put on a couple inches since I separated them, I may try them again together. I do have good luck with Severums and Oscars. Sevs come in dif colors and patterns, a very nice cichlid.

Hey! thanks for help :) but i have a question for you regarding ur JD and oscar..

are they both territorial? do they take over 1 part of the tank? its just because i read somewhere that if u feed them separately i.e. put a part ion on the top of the water over there area so the pellets don't float away.. so they get a decent amount of food without fighting for it… maybe this will relax them abit? AGAIN might be wrong info from a joker lol :)

• JamJar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

JamJar replied the topic: Re:First Oscar Aquarium!

ernie wrote: Hi and welcome to OFL you have received plenty of good advice and pleasing to see you are taking this onboard. To keep cichlids healthy especially large cichlids like Oscars their are 2 things you need research and patience,you are doing the research but you also need to be a little patient.A few members has suggested you read up on the nitrogen cycle, a process that will take 8-10 weeks to complete,that is before you can put Oscars in your tank.I know once you decide to get into fish keeping its hard to wait but be patient and it will make it all more the worthwhile.Looking forward to seeing some photos of your tank build once you start,once again welcome.

HEY!

yeah I've read up on the cycle process needed and it seems simple enough just stressful.. i don't get stressed I'm quite a chilled guy so should be ok :D

1 question though i didn't understand from the info i read how to do a fish less cycle? here in dubai small "feeder" fish are not cheap so doing a fish cycle is abit of a waste and i don't like to kill fish.. them getting eaten is nature :P

fishless cycle?

• JamJar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Lammergeier wrote:

Suprd71 wrote: I do have good luck with Severums and Oscars. Sevs come in dif colors and patterns, a very nice cichlid.

Can you come here and tell Henry and Adie that please? They don't listen to me. :pinch:

On topic, if you go for SDs I would suggest keeping them in a larger group than 3 or 4. I'd go for 5 minimum, but the more the merrier. I have 9 of them and they're so much fun to watch. When they're hungry my 6 x 2 becomes a blur of silver circles darting around at the front of the tank. They need a lot of swimming space, but their bioload is low. They also do a better job of being a clean-up crew than the typical fish people get to do that (plecos etc) by far.

190 US gal isn't going to net you a *lot* of fish unless you skip out on the oscar and go for a cichlid with a lower bioload. I'm not maxed out, but bioload wise I wouldn't want to add much more than 1 oscar, 1 sev and 9SDs in my 180 US gal. I could maybe squeeze 1 more sev or something like a blue acara/firemouth, but that'd definitely be pushing it when they get bigger.

If I were you I'd go 1 oscar,1 sev, and 1 blue acara (if there was room for a 4th I'd get an ellioti - related to firemouths). If you didn't want a sev you could try a JD instead, but JDs can be hit or miss like Suprd said, and I wouldn't want to try an acara or firemouth with one as they tend to occupy the same area of the tank. Finally, I'd round out the tank with 5 - 6 SDs.

Or, y'know, you could get 1 oscar and just get like 20+ SDs :silly:

THANKYOU!

this helped a lot now you have said about the SD's il be rounding my tank off with 5-6 like you said :)

i think i will go with the OS / JD / B ACARA rounded off with 4-5 SD's i think that would make a sexy tank :D

Is there any other Cichlid like the SD's that have a small bioload that can survive the JD and OS maybe i could have a group of SD's and another Group and not get the BLUE ACARA :))

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds