Water parameters OK?

• Fielder
  • Fielder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Fielder created the topic: Water parameters OK?

I am still in long process of cycling my tank...

Meanwhile, is it reasonable to keep oscars in a 125 gallon tank where the temperature will be 81 and pH at 8.3 and hard water? I will not/cannot be altering these parameters, so should I chose other types of fish instead or will oscars adapt to this high temp and pH?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Water parameters OK?

oscars can take the heat ~ but whoa that's some high PH ---- is that out of your tap?

you might want to look into African's - a tank full of these: Frontosa

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Water parameters OK?

tehmole wrote: oscars can take the heat ~ but whoa that's some high PH ---- is that out of your tap?

you might want to look into African's - a tank full of these: Frontosa

This is my dream tank. . . . . :lol:

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Water parameters OK?

a 125 lake Tanganyika tank is an eye opener ...... with your PH being that high perfect condition for them.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Water parameters OK?

The temp of 81 is right in Oscars comfort zone. They will adapt to the high Ph, although it is far from ideal. You can lower it easily enough by adding peat granules to a filter. One thing to be aware of is that with high Ph, iffy water quality becomes more dangerous. Ammonia and nitrite must be kept at 0 and nitrate should be 10 or less. Twice weekly or more w/c for 2 large Oscars in a 125. I certainly agree with the other suggestions of going African. Water is bang on for them and big Frontosa are quite spectacular.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Fielder
  • Fielder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Fielder replied the topic: Water parameters OK?

Ok thanks everyone !

1) My long tank cycling has come to a happy end. It is now cycled. It has been 6 weeks with little process. Until I added 4 large (U.S. Quarter coin size) cichlid flakes to the (large 125 gallon) tank. And it immediately started to reduce daily added ammonia, much faster. And finished cycling in 4 days.

I had been using only pure ammonia (Dr. Tims) at ppm =3. Tank could only reduce ammonia levels very slowly ( a week to 10 days drop to close to 0) After adding the flakes four days ago, and it now will go from 3ppm to 0 in just one day!. I am guessing something (trace elements?) in the fish food flakes was needed in addition to ammonia for the filter bacteria to thrive and grow in number. Next time I cycle another new tank, will add flakes to the ammonia right at the beginning. Only a tiny amount of flake to prevent purifying.

2) Further testing with 'high range' API pH showed the actual tapwater is 7.9 pH (the published city water report said the the testing last year was from 7.8 to 8.4 throughout the city. I had been using the lower range pH test kit and was guessing 8.3. But looks like it is 7.9 when I switched to the high range kit.

3) I am now leaning towards Frontosa, thanks for that suggestion, all !

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds