Hey guys just some questions about ways to break line of sight.

• Alexshaw1995
  • Alexshaw1995's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Alexshaw1995 created the topic: Hey guys just some questions about ways to break line of sight.

Hey all, I just went out and brought a new 500L tank, which i believe is around 130 Gallons.
So in this tank at the moment i have one small oscar hes about 13cm at the present and a 35cm pleco. Was just wondering if i have room for another tank mate such as a Jack Dempsey i have in my 250L. I must be honest i tried introducing them to see how things went and my jd chased my oscar on and off. Slowly getting more aggressive. As you can see my tank is quite bare at the moment was wondering if i try breaking the line of sight could i make this work? And any ideas on breaking the line of sight? Ive ordered a bunch of tall fake plants and picking up some schist and stones in a couple days. I cant really use real plants because my pleco loves destroying them.

This pic is a bit murky from adding gravel.
postimg.org/image/r5klfu6ar/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Hey guys just some questions about ways to break line of sight.

Hah, I have that barrel for my red devil. She's almost too large to fit in it now.

While your O is small now I can assure you your tank won't look bare once he's an adult. Also, plecos are absolute waste producing machines - I don't think you can really add much more to your tank with a pleco that size without encountering an overstocking problem.

I'd personally (bioload permitting) suggest adding a small school of silver dollars. They would liven up the tank considerably and make it look more 'busy' without adding much to the bioload at all. I'd keep the JD and oscar separated if you've tried introducing them in the past and it didn't work.

For decorations to break line of sight - driftwood and smooth rocks are the way to go. Be careful of rock or driftwood with sharp edges, your oscar will scrape itself on them.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hey guys just some questions about ways to break line of sight.

Hello and welcome to OFL. First, I concur totally that a huge pleco pretty much takes the bioload to the limit. Second, I have found that the line of sight thing doesnt really apply to medium sized tanks with aggressive fish. There is only so much room, and an aggressive cichlid will find its way around to harass the milder one. Dempseys are hit or miss as tankmates, they can be mild mannered or downright nasty. If you rehome the plec, there are other options for mates, but if not I would suggest you are full.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds