Couple Cycling/Oscar Move ?s (sorry if repetitive)!

• Geminezmarie
  • Geminezmarie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Geminezmarie created the topic: Couple Cycling/Oscar Move ?s (sorry if repetitive)!

I just recently introduced myself to the group and already have a 2nd & 3rd question. I have 3 Oscars in the house now. One is a rescue.

Question 1:

The rescued O is about 8" & alone in the under filtered 30 gallon I received him in--with an hob barely rated for a 30 much less an Oscar. My dear BF has been cycling a 75 gallon for him for 3 months now. I've only just now been allowed into the process and must tread carefully to "help" but my feverish WCs with Prime have the 30 gallon regularly at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites & 40-60 nitrates (down from the nearly 200 ppm aka way past deep burgundy AP test result the poor guy originally came to us in--thanks to the advice from you guys as I hadn't considered his "pretty" tank could hide such filthy gravel--black water siphoned out!) but he obviously needs to move! He's currently active with a voracious appetite. He's already family.

So his new 75g home has an emperor hob + some sponge filter/powerhead arrangements made by the BF unlike the canisters I'm used to on the other large tanks. I can politely investigate this arrangement in his man cave if it helps ;). He's put old filter media behind the existing/new filters in the emperor and I've learned used a few otc bacteria supplements/safe start brands. Danios in the tank since day 1.

Now I've never used supplements but have been a believer in seeding. I normally have 3-6 week, patient and unaided cycles though I do use chemicals to bind ammonia or detoxify nitrites to keep fish from misery and, of course, death. But other than that, I look for my ammonia spike, nitrite spike and nitrate appearance in dependable, unerring fashion. The supplements seem to have changed things here but for the worse.

His tests since he's decided to share now show the last 15 days of nearly daily testing are regularly 8 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites (only nitrites ever tested were noted as .25 four weeks ago) and 10-20 nitrates.

Could that much ammonia overwhelm the needed nitrifying bacteria?! Does he need some more large WCs and if ammonia tests low--is he cycled? I'm at a loss. But if not corrected soon, I'm not sure what to do. The 125 has 2 Tiger Oscars (juvies - one has earned the name Boomer) and 3 silver dollars. That's overstocked already. But it makes it worse to see the biggest O in the smallest cichlid tank!!!

Question 2:
Tap pH (and pH in other tanks is 7.2-7.4). The rescued tank is about 6.6. Once his new home is cycled, I'm worried the change is too drastic... Ideas beyond a temp fix with a chemical? I love my aquatic friends but can't imagine a doable drip acclimation scenario.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Couple Cycling/Oscar Move ?s (sorry if repetitive)!

Do a massive (100%)water change on the 75 to get that 8 ammonia to 0. Then start taking small amounts of water out of the 30 gallon and add a small amount from the 75. Do this repeatedly until the the 30 has all the water replaced. Add the filter from the 30 to the 75, or at least all the media. Move the fish. Tell BF to smarten up. Then teach BF how to cycle a tank.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Geminezmarie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Geminezmarie replied the topic: Re:Re: Couple Cycling/Oscar Move ?s (sorry if repetitive)!

Lol! :cheer:

Sounds good.

I just got him out of thinking stagnant bowls with goldfish are cool. Baby steps. This is his first tank and he treats his AP test kit like it's liquid gold...

Anyway I'm now packaging this up as almighty internet direction thus inherently superior!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Couple Cycling/Oscar Move ?s (sorry if repetitive)!

Lol. It's a good thing that he wants to do things right. You will have to show him the way.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Couple Cycling/Oscar Move ?s (sorry if repetitive)!

1 Keep ammonia in check with water changes, until you detect nitrite.

2 Keep ammonia and nitrite in check with water changes until you detect nitrate.

3 Once you get nitrate, keep it in check with wc.

4 If you do not have nitrate reading, then check nitrite and ammonia, and repeat the process.

• Geminezmarie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Geminezmarie replied the topic: Re:Re: Couple Cycling/Oscar Move ?s (sorry if repetitive)!

See that's how I explained it but I think he got impatient at step 3 since we all know nitrates take longer to appear compared to nitrites. I think I'm in the minority here or I'd say something about the male species ;-)

He's all moved in and swimming happily. I used 2 soft mesh nets to catch and quickly transport after a little non-drip acclimation (aka a WC introducing the new tank water and negligible temp diff). I forgot how strong O's are too...but anyway I'll be doing extra WCs, testing & "priming" as needed to keep him happy. Right now ammonia is bound but present at 1 ppm after the 100% WC suggested (okay, I admit I gave up closer to 90%). Oh and am running his old hob on the new tank so here's hoping for an easy go of it.

Thanks all! I want to take a pic but he won't come out of his faux-plant hiding place (also transported)!

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Re: Couple Cycling/Oscar Move ?s (sorry if repetitive)!

1ppm ammonia is a bit strange after an almost complete water change. How is your source(tap) water for ammonia and nitrate?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Couple Cycling/Oscar Move ?s (sorry if repetitive)!

Do you have any pics?

• Geminezmarie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Full disclosure: I say 1 ppm and he says .5 ppm. Neither of us win color differentiation awards though. That said, I was expecting to go from dark green to yellow but nope there's definitely a green tint in the test tube. Not sure what else to do (outside of temp chemical fixes for the little guy) but hope bacteria on the old hob filter can help handle it and spread that love soon throughout the tank--I'm ready for the mini-ecosystem to do its thang...

Tap is 0 ammonia & 10 nitrates. Although I have tested it after a storm (and we had a decent one yesterday) and there were trace amounts of ammonia and a higher nitrate level...or I could've done more of a WC since once the water touched substrate level my back said stop...

• Geminezmarie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I do but I took these more out of a "spot the Lutino" mood because he's still sulking. My niece and sister came to tell me how he came up and interacted with company like a ham. This is post-move so I was excited he was out & about. I went to see him...straight to the hiding plant he's moved to the tank's corner... It's been 24 hours. This is worse than dog wash day when I get no love from the furry friend for hours. Cute.

Parameters today though are improved. I'm still going to do a WC (which will be a partial). Still seeing ammonia at .25, 0 nitrites, 5-10 nitrates. Ammonia is bound for another 24 thanks to Prime but I'm ready for the yellow result at this point.

The Fluval 406 was cleaned yesterday before I got home but I'm hoping we're carrying enough of the bene bacteria in the little 350 HOB (Penguin) which was from the original tank and is running along with the Fluval. This is a regular 75.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds