Upgrading to a 150 Gallon tank

• Wilsey
  • Wilsey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Wilsey created the topic: Upgrading to a 150 Gallon tank

I have three tiger Oscars, 2 African cichlids, and a pleco in a 55 gallon tank. I do 10% water changes everyday to ensure cleanliness. The tiger Oscars are all small, about 2 inches for my babies and 6 for my teen. I am starting my 150 gallon tank next week to get it ready to transfer my fish to their new home. I have a couple questions that I cant find definite answers for, an experts help would be great.

First, Is a 150 gallon tank sufficient for all of my fish to be healthy and prosper? They get along just fine in my 55 gallon so I am hoping in a tank three times as big they will be just as happy. Can I add more and be alright?

Second, I know filtration and water movement are very important, I am looking into getting a Fluval G6 Advanced Filtration System and a FX6 canister filter. Both add up to 828 GPH of filtration. Is this enough for a healthy community?

Third, Should I get gravel or sand for my tank? Both have pros and cons just wondering what the forum thinks, I am leaning towards sand for its looks. Also how many pounds do I need. I read the recommended is 2 pounds per gallon.

Fourth, what decorations will make my fish happy? Driftwood and river rocks are very common.

Fifth, What is the Inch per Gallon Rule? My tank is 150 gallons which coverts to 34,650 cubic inches.

I am egger for any advice so please help me! Thanks
Will post pics of tank when done.
Travis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Upgrading to a 150 Gallon tank

That is a lot of questions...

I will address the filtration, the FX6 is an ideal filter for the tank. The second filter, the G6 has a bad rep for clogging up really quick and really more show than go. You would be better with a second FX6 or add one or two AC110's instead.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Upgrading to a 150 Gallon tank

African cichlids like a much higher ph than do american, so as a general rule should not be housed together. If you narrow it down to the oscars and pleco, long term someone probably needs to go. Each of those fish shoud really have 55ga as adults, so you are probably about 75 short of ideal. Imo not a good mix, but your bioload should be fine for a while...

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Upgrading to a 150 Gallon tank

Is this a 6ft 150 gallon tank? This can also have a bearing on whether the fish get along.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Upgrading to a 150 Gallon tank

well let's start with you're stock african cichlid don't mix well with central and south american cichlids i would recommend you re home them or get them their own tank and 3 oscars probably won't work either because if 2 end up pairing off the odd man out could get picked on and even if they all got along a 150 is only big enough for 2 oscars and maybe a pleco (depending on what kind it is so please tell us)

and the only thing i really have to say about decor is stay away from thing with sharp corners because oscar have a tendency to hurt themselves

and the inch per gallon rule is complete bs :evil: it says you can have 1 inch of fish for every gallon

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Upgrading to a 150 Gallon tank

Hello Travis,

As stated African and American cichlids don't mix well, in part because of Ph requirements, but also because of behavior. They may get along now, but this will all change as they get older. It would be really hit or miss for three or even two oscars to get along in the 150 gal tank size. You are probably best to keep the two smallest oscars and possibly the pleco and try to re-home all the rest. The little guys (oscars) will grow really fast and be a foot long inside a year. Do you know what kind of pleco it is?

It is best to stalk aquariums for the adult size of fish rather than the small ones. You definitely are doing a good thing getting the larger tank in any case.

Oscars need lots of space and are very territorial so the "inch per gallon" rules don't apply (really this "rule" only applies to guppies, if that). They all have different personalities and may or may not get along when they are older.

Good luck. Submit pics when you can.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Upgrading to a 150 Gallon tank

I have a few questions, just to put in some stats I'm compiling:

"I have three tiger Oscars, 2 African cichlids, and a pleco in a 55 gallon tank"

1) Where did you get the info or who informed you that this stocking level is acceptable, even short term? An opinion on the web, a book, an LFS, etc? As stated, stocking is based not only on adult size if species to be kept, but also compatibility, ph requirements, etc also factor in. (You will have to choose Africans or Oscars....neither will do well long term in the very different PH/hardness requirements that these species have)

"Second, I know filtration and water movement are very important, I am looking into getting a Fluval G6 Advanced Filtration System and a FX6 canister filter. Both add up to 828 GPH of filtration. Is this enough for a healthy community?"

2) I don't see it posted, but how long have the filter(s) on the 55GL been cycled? Exactly what filters do you have on the 55GL? Did you cycle beforehand, or simply add fish the day you set the aquarium up? Also, did you test the PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? If so, what means did you use to test? Test strips? Liquid or tablet tests?

10% daily WC's are insufficient for that stocking level, which is beyond overcrowded. You should be doing minimum 50% daily, along w/ a thorough substrate vaccuming, just to maintain safe dissolved solid levels.

Just FYI, the "inch per gallon rule" is outdated, & never applies to cichlids.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Wilsey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Wilsey replied the topic: Upgrading to a 150 Gallon tank

Thanks for the advice. I will
Stick with two FX6 more bang for the buck. The G6 is a good idea poor engineering.

• Wilsey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Wilsey replied the topic: Upgrading to a 150 Gallon tank

Thanks for you reply. I am a novice fish owner. I know my tank is severly over stocked but I impluse buy fish when I go to the pet store. My 150 gallon is 6 feet long.
I would like a tank that looks great with at least 4 fish. I will get rid of one oscar and keep my bigger one and one small one. The pleco is a common so he will get big. And seems like he poops more than the oscars.
My two African cichlids are my oldest I had them for about a year in my 55 gallon then feel in love with Tony the Tiger oscar at Petco one day. He has been my favorite ever since.
If I had two tiger oscars and a pleco would that be over stocked in a quality tank?

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Upgrading to a 150 Gallon tank

Hi, i'll say yes it's overstocked with 2 oscars and a pleco ---- but it's manageable if you upkeep with the water changes ......

you can keep the 55 as a african only tank ...that'll be a nice side by side setup...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds