I'm new and need pointers

• Guilliams94
  • Guilliams94's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Guilliams94 created the topic: I'm new and need pointers

Hi I'm new to the oscar world and I was trying to get some pointers on my aquarium. It's a 135 gal with with all the good filter system and everything. My dad have it it me because he took it out of his house. But I was wondering how big of a pump I would need for the tank and how many oscars I could fit in it before it would be overloaded. Another think I am wondering how to do is how to sanitize the tank real good. It has been sitting in the garage for about a year.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: I'm new and need pointers

Hello and welcome. If the tank is 6ft long, its right around the minimum for 2 Oscars, nothing else. You can clean it up with white vinegar. Dont use cleansers, detergents etc. Filtration options are many, you will want 2, a large capacity canister and a large hob work well together. Starting at square 1, you need to know about cycling the tank, and how the nitrogen cycle works in an aquarium. You SHOULD NOT just fill a tank, hookup new filters and add fish. Everything you need is available here, ask anything you like, factual answers and solid advice will follow.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Guilliams94
  • Guilliams94's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Guilliams94 replied the topic: I'm new and need pointers

Thanks a lot for the advise! What all do I need to know about the nitrogen cycle? And how big of a pump do you think is suitable for the tank. There is about a 4 foot rise from where the pump is to the top of the main tank. Another question is how do I go about cleaning the rock that I already have?

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: I'm new and need pointers

Welcome to the site, I am glad you started by doing some research before setting up your tank. If that tank has been sitting for a while I would water test it somewhere outside your house (@ least 72 hrs)before you set it up, just to make sure there are no leaks. That is a really nice size tank to get started with. I would suggest reading the articles found on the home page here about cycling, and aquarium set up, both of which will help you understand the type of filtration you will need to consider. Here are links to both.

www.oscarfishlover.com/tank-setup

www.oscarfishlover.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds