Cycling

• Jrdriscoll
  • Jrdriscoll's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Jrdriscoll created the topic: Cycling

Just had a thought, I'm just waiting on a few things from eBay then I will begin cycling my new tank . I have a siphon that has a filter on it what I was thinking is would it be beneficial to put the waist from my established aquarium into my new tank to start the ammonia rise?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Cycling

Is your new tank up and running with a filter? How are you cycling the new tank? Any media, gravel etc that you can take from an established aquarium will help the cycling process. Obviously the established aquarium must be already running, it's no good switching it off and then taking stuff from it a few days later, all the bacteria will be dead by then. I think it's worth saying that only media from an established biological filter will really speed the cycling process, rocks, gravel or water may introduce some bacteria, but you probably won't make the cycling process any quicker in the new aquarium.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Cycling

Using old water wont get you anywhere. Assuming your existing filters are doing their job, there should be no ammonia in the water, only nitrate, which is the final element in the nitrogen cycle. Use hardware store ammonia for a fishless cycle, or run established filters on the new tank.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Jrdriscoll
  • Jrdriscoll's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Jrdriscoll replied the topic: Cycling

Nah I haven't started yet as I said I'm still waiting for stuff from eBay including a filter.. And what I meant was I have a siphon that has a filter bag thing that catches a the fishes "waist" I was wondering if putting that in my new tank would help after all that is what starts the cycle.. Just a thought I'll probably go with the liquid ammonia

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Cycling

im not quite sure what your talking about with this siphon thing.... but if is anything like a filer it will help.

if you have an existing tank and bring over enough of the filter media - you can cycle your tank instantly

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Cycling

I've usually taken some of the filter pad and/or bio media and placed it into the new filter of a new tank. I've referred to it as 'seeding' a new tank. The last time I did this was with a friend's new tank. I cut the filter pad off a cartridge, placed it in a bag, and took it to his house to use in the new filter. You should still have enough room for the new filter pad, and with enough established bacteria on the old pad, you should be able to use the tank right away under the right circumstances. *Just keep a check on those water parameters.* If for some reason the bacteria doesn't colonize in the new filter and you have your fish in the tank, you'll need to perform large water changes regularly until the tank has cycled.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds