Slate or tile...

• claude3rd
  • claude3rd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

claude3rd created the topic: Slate or tile...

I have a pool sand substrate but its still getting extremely dirty. I was thinking about changing it to tile and a little sand (very little). Has anybody had experience with tile?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Slate or tile...

If the sand is getting extremely dirty, then you are feeding the fish too much and too often without changing your routine on how much and often you do water changes. I don't have a problem with dirty sand because in 3 days, I always do a gravel vac of the waste in the tank.

Going to slate won't fix the problem of how much waste is in the tank. You might as well go barebottom.

• claude3rd
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

claude3rd replied the topic: Slate or tile...

I do 1 to 2 feedings a day... its a 180g tank with a 40g sump and two FX5s. I have 2 Bahia Red tails and 6 Silver Dollars. I do two 30% water changes a week... every other one is also a thorough vacuuming. I know O's are messy, I am not concerned about the amount. The problem is the sand starts to mix with the wast and becomes irritating to clean. I was trying to get information on other options.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Slate or tile...

I use gravel and sand in my tanks. For the most part the waste is lying on the top of the sand.....but...but...but... certainly some gets broken down and sinks into the substrate.

Have you thought of increasing water changes? I spend the first 30-40% cleaning (glass, filters, decor, wastes on top, and getting the sand good) then I keep going to 100% with changing the water.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Slate or tile...

If you switch you to slate your going to have to watch for waste and uneaten food getting under the slate. IMO making cleaning up harder than PFS.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Slate or tile...

i would say if you want an easier way to clean ... leave it bare bottom.

• claude3rd
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

claude3rd replied the topic: Slate or tile...

So I need to stop whining and clean more....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Slate or tile...

claude3rd wrote: So I need to stop whining and clean more....

Ha. ha. Yes!! You have great filtration, but you should up your water changes to at least 50-60%/week (better is 80-90% per week) and thoroughly vac the gravel sand every time.

ETA: Re feeding. Once a day is sufficient and you should even skip a day once a week. Good for their health to do a weekly cleanse.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Slate or tile...

claude3rd wrote: I do 1 to 2 feedings a day... its a 180g tank with a 40g sump and two FX5s. I have 2 Bahia Red tails and 6 Silver Dollars. I do two 30% water changes a week... every other one is also a thorough vacuuming. I know O's are messy, I am not concerned about the amount. The problem is the sand starts to mix with the wast and becomes irritating to clean. I was trying to get information on other options.

Even if you went bare bottom, you would still have waste......& your schedule should be more on the order of 50% every 2-3 days, w/ a vacuuming each time. Just FYI....my motto is :"Filtration, no matter how powerful & efficient, is only there to keep your fish alive until you can do another WC".

I have an 6" Oscar, 10" pleco, 2 TF barbs, & a CL in a 125, w/ more filtration than you can shake a stick at......& I do 95% 1X per week. (I was doing 95 2X per week, but the Minister of Finance read me the riot act when she got the water bill). Aquariums, no matter how large, are glass/acrylic boxes....lots of stuff going in, not a whole lot going out unless you change the water frequently. If you kept a heavily planted tank w/ smaller community fish like tetras, barbs, corys,etc. you could get away w/ less frequent WC's...but not robust cichlids like Oscars. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Slate or tile...

How deep is the substrate?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds