water issues - setting up new tank...?

• GrouchyDaryl1114
  • GrouchyDaryl1114's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

GrouchyDaryl1114 created the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

Hello everyone!

I am very new to the Oscar community but I have learned a lot from reading the forums on this site! great job!! now for my question...

We set up a small 10 gallon tank roughly 3 maybe 4 weeks ago. added 2 baby Oscars, unfortunately 1 passed away suddenly last week. We have been having a lot of water issues, trying to keep the water clean but it has been an ongoing issue (water changes every few days, adding bacteria to help, even bought distilled water thinking it was our tap water). Temp is around 78, we have a filter made for a 15 gallon tank, air bar with lots of bubbles. I own 2 turtle tanks and a small tank for an albino frog and have never had an issue like this. After reading up, we decided to make the switch to a bigger 60 gallon tank sooner rather than later. I have heard that having a larger tank is a lot easier to control the water then inside a 10 gallon. So our new setup... 60 gallon tank and we purchased an Eheim Ecco Aquarium filter (made to filter 80 gallons) to help clear the water better. How should we go about this? the 10 gallon is getting cloudier by the day.. and I just want to set up the new tank and get the little guy some fresh clean water. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for me to get a nice looking tank?? I feel like giving up but I really love this Oscar and would love to give him the proper home for a long time! unfortunately, our current location is going to cause us to not be able to cycle the new tank... am I going to kill the fish if we put him right into the new tank?

I appreciate any advice, tips or tricks you can give me.

Thanks in advance,
Jessica, Justin and Daryl :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

Can you post a video of your tank please?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

Hello and welcome. First issue was putting Oscars in a 10g tank. Severely undersized for any Oscar of any size for any length of time. Your 60g will suffice for the remaining fish, but is only big enough for him alone. You really need an API liquid test kit to monitor your water quality. You need more filtration. Filter ratings dont apply to tanks housing large messy cichlids. Cycling a tank with an Oscar is never recommended, but you have no choice. A misconception on filters... they only serve to process ammonia and clear out some debris until you do your next water change. Clear water means nothing, you cant see the harmful elements in the water. I suggest adding an Aquaclear 110 filter to your tank, running in conjunction with the Eheim. Get the test kit and do minimum 50% water changes at least 3x weekly. When you read 0 ammonia and nitrite, and show some signs of nitrate, your cycle will be complete. Gradually bring your temp up to 80-82, this is Oscars comfort zone. Get your Oscar out of that 10g, like right now. It is suffering by the minute.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

When moving your fish into a new tank, you can add old dirty filter pads into the back of your new tank's filter. This will prevent you from needing to wait up to two months for the filter to grow the benefitial bacteria needed to convert ammonia and nitrite into nitrate (cycling). Do this or move the whole filter to the new tank in addition to the new filter and you shouldn't have to worry about the time it takes to cycle the new tank.

I add more but have to go for now.

• GrouchyDaryl1114
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

GrouchyDaryl1114 replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

I am trying to post pictures. I am sorry I cannot figure it out. as for the Oscar suffering.. I cant see that, he is less than 1 inch long and he is the only living thing in the 10 gallon tank, the other Oscar was a "runt" and was a little smaller than the one in there now, we were told he didn't have much of a chance of surviving, so we took him in anyways. but he will be moved within the week to the larger tank, we had to order a filter and are waiting on the delivery. I guess we will set up the tank and hopefully have him in his new home by the weekend. I have tested my tank water every day... still no changes. I am going to buy a new test, to see if the test strips I have are defective. Although I did take my water on 2 different occasions to Country Max to see what they had to say about he water as well. Ph, Ammonia, and nitrate were high, so she gave us Stess Zyme + .. we havnt seen a difference, we just keep doing water changes...

Thank you for the advice!

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

You went to a pet store and they told you your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate where high...and then they sold you StressZyme? That's just sad.. :(

You don't add anything to the tank to bring ammonia and nitrate down, you take the ammonia and nitrate out with water changes. Stresszyme is good stuff..but they should've given you better advice.

Test strips aren't defective, they simply just don't work. They're not accurate.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

To post pics use photobucket. Copy the img code and paste into the forum thread box. Videos use YouTube, copy url and paste the same. And not to be harsh.. BUT, you obviously know zip about Oscars, or you wouldnt have jammed 2 in a 10 g tank. Your guy is less than an inch long? Likely pushing 3 months old, should be triple that size. Living in a puny tank with bad water is seriously affecting his health. Baby fish have undeveloped immune systems and require optimum care to get a good hold on life. Changing your water is the right direction for now, do at least half the tank every day. Your lfs is a bit lacking in knowledge as well. Is this the same store that sold you the fish, and knew you only had a 10g tank? Everything you need to know is available here, and free of charge. We only want you to enjoy the hobby as much as we do.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• GrouchyDaryl1114
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

GrouchyDaryl1114 replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

That's kind of why I signed up on this site. I knew something wasn't right, after 2 weeks of treatment and still no changes. By the sounds of it, I need to just switch tanks and hope for the best. I have received so much different advice I just don't know where to even begin. The last thing I want is this fish to suffer anymore. I just hope this 60 gallon doesn't get cloudy... it will not be fun doing water changes on it every few days

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

Yeah... alright.

You have no idea how much work goes into keeping oscars, do you? If you wanted a fish that you didn't have to do water changes for often you've picked possibly the worst species to keep.

All the regulars here do at least one very large water change on their 75gal+ tanks every week, if not more. I'm talking 50% or more. If you aren't willing to put in that level of work then (assuming I'm not being trolled... I need an 8-ball) you should re-home this fish before it dies as well.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

The reason your water is cloudy is because it is not cycled. Once your tank is cycled it won't vet cloudy like that as long as you do your water changes.

We are not like a pet Store, most of the time we completely disagree and condemned thier advice. Essentially, we are fish geeks...they are paid employees of a store.

Do you understand they cycling process? If you don't we can help you there.

I know this is a lot of info....we were all once like you. Just stick with it and it will click for you. It's like learning a new skill.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds