water issues - setting up new tank...?

• GrouchyDaryl1114
  • GrouchyDaryl1114's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

GrouchyDaryl1114 replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

So I can tell people are offended because this little runt is in a 10 gallon tank... so let me make this clear.. again.

I get it, and yes I did state in my first post that I am VERY NEW to the Oscar community. I am nowhere new to tanks, I have 2, 75 gallon turtle tanks, 1 55 gallon and a 20 gallon (not including this new one). I get the concept of it. YES they did know we only had a 10 gallon starter tank, again we have a 60 gallon tank but they said we could wait 1-2 months before setting it up, so like anybody else... I believed them. I couldn't tell you how old, I am just saying he is tiny, nothing like the hogs I have seen posted on here. They told me they had just gotten these guys in and they were new so that's about all I know. he IS growing, he is getting larger by the day. He eats, is very active and comes to the front of the tank every time I get near the tank. Thanks for the info, that's why I left the store and came to this site. I get it, I didn't do my research before saying NO to my husband...

not sure what you mean by "Your Ifs is a bit lacking in knowledge as well"... but anyways, everyone learns from experience. I learned the hard way and I am just trying to correct the problem now... so sorry if I offended anyone by putting this little guy in a 10 gallon tank :-/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

Just a heads up on future maintenance. First, an Oscar is maybe the fastest growing and messiest cichlid in the hobby. They are also very susceptible to disease if not provided very clean water at all times. A 60g tank will require two large water changes per week by the time the fish exceeds 7-8 ins. It will outgrow that tank after about 16 months. I run 11 tanks, some well above 150gals, with various large, and soon to be large cichlids. I have 5 Oscars. I go thru well over 1000 gallons of water a week. Its expensive and time consuming. If you cant, or dont want to do it, pick a smaller, easier to maintain fish.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

Post a video (or pictures at the very least) and people will be willing to advise you further.

• GrouchyDaryl1114
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

to Lammergeier ...

excuse me for interrupting your day. you don't need to help me here if you don't want to. First of all I have 5 tanks that are cleaned monthly, 2 turtle tanks that are cleaned out a hell of a lot more than that! I am not new or am scared of doing a little water change. its part of owning fish/turtle tanks. and once again... if I need to spell this out, let me know

I AM VERY NEW TO THE OSCAR COMMUNITY. I'm not sure how many more times I need to clarify that for you. all I asked for was how to go about getting the cloudy water to go away. thank you for helping me out. I will simply find someone else to assist me in this process.

To everyone else, thank you for actually helping me out, answering the questions I had. I appreciate the time everyone takes to help out the newbies, but I think I have had enough. I didn't come to this site to argue with a "know it all"

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

I'm not offended :)

I'm glad you are looking for advice, fishkeeping is terribly confusing. I'm also glad he is getting upgraded. Can't wait to see pics.

• GrouchyDaryl1114
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thank you purplecandle. this is a very frustrating process, I totally understand where everyone is coming off, but jeeze... people need to relax a little. I understand the time and energy it takes to maintain a tank. trust me my first turtle tank was a HUGE eye opener! I was just really confused as to why my tank is still cloudy after 4 weeks... that's all. I got a little heated in my last post. so I do apologize but do not inform me that I don't know how much work it takes to maintain a tank. that's offensive to me... I posted I was new here, and to the Oscars. I have wiped out all my data on my phone in less than a week trying to work this out. its not like im sitting back watching this fish die!!

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

"I appreciate the time everyone takes to help out the newbies, but I think I have had enough."

... So no picture then?

I don't think there's been a single case where one of these "I have an oscar in a 10 gal" stories have turned out to be legitimate since I've been on here. It always goes the same way - someone posts with a horror story, gets asked for proof, has a hissy fit, disappears from the forums. If you're legitimate then I apologise, but I'm not going to hold my breath unless I see evidence of it.

GrouchyDaryl1114 wrote: Thank you purplecandle. this is a very frustrating process, I totally understand where everyone is coming off, but jeeze... people need to relax a little. I understand the time and energy it takes to maintain a tank. trust me my first turtle tank was a HUGE eye opener! I was just really confused as to why my tank is still cloudy after 4 weeks... that's all. I got a little heated in my last post. so I do apologize but do not inform me that I don't know how much work it takes to maintain a tank. that's offensive to me... I posted I was new here, and to the Oscars. I have wiped out all my data on my phone in less than a week trying to work this out. its not like im sitting back watching this fish die!!

It's ok! Trust me, you will get it! I actually just got a turtle and I've killed my WiFi trying to figure it out.

Cloudy water is just a symptom of an uncycled tank or a tank not big enough to handle the bioloads of whatever fish you have.

Once you upgrade and get the tank cycled it won't be an issue. I don't know how much you know about cycling a tank.. do you know about the cycle? About your bacteria?

Here is an article about cloudy water..

www.oscarfishlover.com/cloudy-aquarium-water

Here an article on cycling

www.oscarfishlover.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium

Any questions just ask.

• GrouchyDaryl1114
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

so here is "proof" since I have nothing better to do than lie that I have a baby Oscar in a 10 gallon. as for disappearing...im a nurse I cant stay at my computer 24/7. I have never used photobucket so I don't even know if this will work... you want proof that bad, ill email you the darn pictures... seriously people?????

[img]http://[URL=http://s1043.photobucket.com/user/lilskip3125/media/DSCN0338.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/lilskip3125/DSCN0338.jpg[/URL][/img]

[img][URL=http://s1043.photobucket.com/user/lilskip3125/media/DSCN0333.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/lilskip3125/DSCN0333.jpg[/URL][/img]

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds