water issues - setting up new tank...?

• GrouchyDaryl1114
  • GrouchyDaryl1114's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

GrouchyDaryl1114 replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

[img]http://[URL=http://s1043.photobucket.com/user/lilskip3125/media/DSCN0333.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/lilskip3125/DSCN0333.jpg[/URL][/img]

horror story?? its cloudy water, not the end of my life. hissy fit? no you ASSUME I'm lying and you want me to take advice from you??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

I believe you. The reason they wanted proof is because of all the trolls that hit this forum...real a-holes. They try to pretend they want help, then once we start helping they just start arguing..then everybody gets riled up.. and then the mods here lock the thread..and we all feel stupid.

You wouldn't think a fish forum would have this happen...but it does.

• GrouchyDaryl1114
  • GrouchyDaryl1114's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

GrouchyDaryl1114 replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

I completely understand... I don't understand why someone would lie. I want nothing but the best for this Oscar. I may have messed up but I'm trying damn hard to fix it. what I don't need, is someone trying to tell me I cant handle this or that or I don't have additional tanks and so on... thank you for your reply. I am just going to wing it with the info you have given me. I'm sorry if I had a hissy fit, but please.... don't tell someone they are lying!

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

Gotcha ;)

Seriously though, if you read those articles, upgrade to the bigger tank, get the tank cycled and keep up on water changes you should be ok.

Just remember to get an api liquid test kit.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

purplecandle is right ... sometimes people do pretend to want help and it causes trouble ... not just for us but for you as well. I want you to feel welcomed to the forum and feel free to ask any questions you may have. I'll be happy to help you with anything I can and try to help you through this move the best that I can.

I'm glad your upgrading to a 60 gallon - that'll make a big difference. It takes about two months for a filter to cycle. Before that happens, cloudy water is often a problem.

BTW - lfs = local fish store
The following user(s) said Thank You: purplecandle

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

GrouchyDaryl1114 wrote:
horror story?? its cloudy water, not the end of my life. hissy fit? no you ASSUME I'm lying and you want me to take advice from you??

Thanks for providing pictures.

Horror story? Yep. Keeping an O in a 10 gal is tantamount to animal cruelty. Look up pictures of oscars with HITH on google images and you can easily see why I (and many other members) feel this way.

Assume you're lying? Yep, I did, and I do apologise for it as you provided some evidence. If you spend some time trawling through old threads in these forums you'll see countless stories similar to yours that were trolling cases. To me you're a nameless, faceless person on the internet - I have no reason to automatically presume you're telling the truth if you're posting a story that does, on the surface, seem unbelievable. The last thing I want is for people like purplecandle, UNC-CH or Suprd (or anyone else) to waste their time. I'm glad for their (and your oscar's) sake that this isn't the case here.

Take advice from me? No, I certainly don't expect you to, and I didn't ask you to take advice from me either. I think purplecandle and UNC-CH have you covered and they're much nicer people than I am.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

Not being nasty, but you are coming across a bit... aggressively. While obviously not anyone's intention, it does gets peoples backs up- everyone has good days, bad days, busy days... and as Lamm said, we're all faceless people on the internet. We don't know this stuff.

If I remember correctly, purplecandle was a nurse, so would understand the shifts quite well. Lamm is a uni student who does work in a fish lab. I'm currently working on starting up a small business from home.

It is correct that there are a lot of trolls out there. You'd be surprised at how sick some of these people are, just look at a few threads, it's disgusting that these people troll. Reading a lot of them can also get you a bit jaded.

The asking for a pic is a two fold thing- 1- it proves you're not a troll (which is always a good thing, we don't need anymore of them, lol) and 2- it lets us see what you're describing. That's extremely important. We're trying to picture what your words are describing, which may be totally different to what it really looks like- and someone may actually notice something else, and it may not be what was thought from words alone!

I guess, it's just easier to see with ones own eyes, because you have it in front of you, and aren't trying to picture it in your head. The whole thousand words thing, I guess.

And I know the feeling with cycling a filter- my husband recently did a seal change on a filter given to us, and we had to get it to cycle so we could take out the filter in the tank already, because it was actually causing problems. I fretted like mad!

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: water issues - setting up new tank...?

To GrouchyDaryl1114:

Cloudy water is caused by a bacterial bloom...when you 1st set up an aquarium, there are no beneficial bacteria in your filter(s) to handle the waste your fish is now producing...the moment you add a living organism to a un-cycled aquarium, the biological processes start.....this is normal, but will take some time, up to 12 weeks, to go away. I would also cut back on feeding. But.....in the confines of a 10GL aqurium, with an Oscar in it, (Oscars of ANY size are waste producing machines), it will most likely remain cloudy. Simply too mush fish for too little aquarium.

I am not going to go into how the nitrogen cycle works, please feel free to browse the many articles on this site for info on that.

www.oscarfishlover.com/cloudy-aquarium-water

www.oscarfishlover.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium

These are basic treatises on these 2 topics.......any questions, feel free to contact me.

Tanks do not get cycled...filters do. It takes 10 weeks minimum to properly cycle a filter, & that really depends on whether you have a dedicated biological filter with some sort of media in it that will culture BB (beneficial bacteria). A HOB (hang-on-back) filter that comes w/ a starter kit is not going to be sufficient for an Oscar as a biological filter.

There are species of fish that will do well there entire lives in a 10GL aquarium....Oscars are NOT one of them. Sorry, no offense, but whoever informed you that this would work knows nothing about cichlids or fish-keeping in general. Steer clear of their "advice". :pinch:

Keeping amphibians & goldfish is FAR different from keeping robust cichlids like Oscars. Even at a small size, they produce TREMENDOUS amounts of waste. I would suggest that you return the remaining small Oscar, set up the 60GL tank you have, set up the canister you have, add some sort of biological media that will encourage the growth of BB (bioballs, ceramic rings,etc), then either do a fishless cycle (I personally do not recommend) or do a fish-in cycle w/ a hardy species like Giant danios. if you wish to do the "old-school" approach, I can walk you through it...but it will require time, diligence & patience on your part, & a far better test kit than strips. They are WORTHLESS.

As far as the LFS you went to for "help/advice".......having managed a LFS in the past for several years, I can assure you that they are interested in 1 thing: getting as much money out of your pocket before you leave the building as possible. That's it, plain & simple. OFL only wants to see you succeed....& you have to be open to accepting knowledge from hobbyists, like myself, who have decades of experience (me personally 43+ years). My suggestion is to do some research on cichlid husbandry, how the nitrogen cycle works, the 3 different types of filtration, etc. Obtain this book:

"The Cichlid Aquarium" by Dr. P.V. Loiselle.

Great book...have recommended it to hundreds of novice cichlid-keepers over the years to help enhance their knowledge & thereby their enjoyment of the hobby. Armed w/ knowledge of how this hobby works, they can't talk you into making unnecessary purchases.

Also, feel free to peruse this article I wrote that entails what is necessary to be successful w/ Oscars:

www.oscarfishlover.com/oscar-fish-care-sheet

If you wish to learn & be successful, take the knowledge we can provide you & apply it. If not, I wish you well in your future endeavors.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lammergeier, UNC-CH, Rogue_Violetta

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds