160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

• Nailroth
  • Nailroth's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

Nailroth created the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

Hello there, im most likely going to make an aquarium trade soon my 2 smaller tanks for my fathers 160 gal, It's going to be filtered by an FX5 and a Eheim rated up to 160gal

I know i want Oscar/s But i also don't want a very bare tank with 1 or 2 oscars in it

Size matters aswell tankmates can't be bigger then 8-10" since the oscar/s are going to be the main thing the others are only fillers to make the tank look alive and not empty

Then i do have a question, how long can i keep my angels, flag cichlid and my laeacara dorsigera with small oscars before they need to move? the angels and flag cichild is going to move and the dorsigera is going to take my 30g i have some plays in that are going to be sold in 2-3 months time. The angels and flag cichlids are going to move to friend that has a 180gal,

I want to keep the angels with the oscars as long as possible so the tank won't be empty with 1-2 baby oscars in a 160gal until i can get tankmates

Thanks
The topic has been locked.
  • ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

I don't think any tank is empty when it has an oscar in it much less two! with the amount of movement they do! My vote for tank mates are def silver dollars have had them for about as long as I have had OZ and they do well in a large tank they are fast enough to move and get away ( 300gal). They also add some great contrast.

That being said there is no perfect partner as you have probably heard around here sometimes cichlids just don't get along no matter what the other fish is. some of it is trial and error.

As for how long to keep the other fish well IMO once you see them getting bullied might be time to move them. Angels on average do not do well in Oscar tanks ( but I know one person who had a random success) they just are too delicate..

Anyway hope this helps

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

Just FYI......compatibility of cichlids is never guaranteed....some people do keep Angelfish w/ Oscars....I do not recommend it....if a fight does break out, the Angels will lose...badly. On the other end of the spectrum, if these are large Angels you have, they might pick on baby Oscars. I would wait until you re-home the Angels. Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

Oscars are one of if not the fastest growing cichlid.....a 160GL tank would really be enough for only 2 Oscars, especially as they approach maturity, & I have seen Oscars kept as single specimens (& other robust cichlids) dominate large aquariums, & allow no tankmates @ all. Uncommon, but does happen. 2 Oscars can make even the largest aquarium seem full very rapidly w/ their growth rate.

As far as tankmates go, silver dollars, tin-foil barbs, clown loaches, bala sharks, plecos......generally anything that doesn't make a convenient mouthful, can swim faster, or can defend itself. But again, nothing is guaranteed......you may get a very aggressive Oscar (or 2) or you may get a pacifist.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
  • Nailroth
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Nailroth replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

Yeah i know about cichlid compatability, my Laeacara dorsigera about 4" killed my 8" angel i had, he even attacks my hand if i put it into his tank, he kills my kardinal tetras if they are abit to slow, I don't think my angels will do anything to any oscars i get since were i live i have 3 choices in oscar size, the baby oscars don't get to the store until they are 4-6" then i can get juviniles at 6-8" but they are to expensive, and i can get the monster oscars a store has here, 10-15" but they cost more then this tank would cost brand new.

But the thing im scared of is that oscars are cichlids they pick an area and then they stay they don't move around to much.
My tank with my dorsigera is very empty now i rarely see any fish since i only have about 10 kardinals left im going to get me another 30-40 in a month time to get some fish in the tank.

so 2 oscar in that tank with the large driftwood and rocks ill be putting in i will not see them until they get to about 14" and thats probably not going to happen, when i look into a tank i want to see fish.

I might get me a Placo a regular paradalis since i had one when i was very young and he was my favorite, when it was food time he came up and turned upside down to grab the food, and he would also swim up and grab your fingers to get more food :D
  • Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

Oscars don't just pick a spot and remain hidden. Once they get use to the tank they are little beggars of food and attention (mostly food).
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

Cichlids are an incredibly diverse family of fish and there's a lot of differences in behaviour seen not just between species, but within the same species. That said though, generalisations about behaviour can be made for each species. I don't know why you think that cichlids pick an area and then don't move around much - there's very few species that would even closely apply to, and oscars certainly aren't one of them.

In their natural environment oscars are open water swimmers so hiding in or behind things is not a 'usual' behaviour for them. Once they are even a few inches long most tend to stop hiding in things, and they are almost always on the move. They do move slowly, mind you, but even fairly small, young oscars can dominate their tanks.

If it eases your concerns at all, I have one 7" oscar in a 180 gal with 1 severum and 9 silver dollars. There's driftwood he can hide behind, etc. I don't think there's been a single day since he was put into that tank when he was ~3" that my O has been hiding behind anything when I've gone to the tank. The opposite occurs - I can't look at anything else in the tank for long without him swimming in front of my face and begging for food/attention. If you read around the forums here you'll find that mine isn't unusual in that behaviour either. Oscars are one of the most interactive fish that you can own - your fears are completely unfounded.
  • Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

"But the thing im scared of is that oscars are cichlids they pick an area and then they stay they don't move around to much."

This statement tell me you don't have much experience w/ Oscars. Even baby Oscars explore each & every inch of their enviroment, & are very active swimmers.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lammergeier
  • ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re:160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

Opportunistic eater can't just sit in one spot and hunt not built for that kind of predation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Nailroth
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Nailroth replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

Darth Nandopsis wrote:
This statement tell me you don't have much experience w/ Oscars. Even baby Oscars explore each & every inch of their enviroment, & are very active swimmers.

That is true if i was experienced i would have never turned to this forum since i would know all the things im asking here.
The statement i made is from my own experience, i have had angels for 4 years, and they have all paired up picked a spot and never left unless you approched the tank to feed them. i have had severums same thing there picks a spot and stays. Only cichlid i have had that has moved around is african cichlids but then again when a male has claimed his cave he stays there and will only swim out to chase away other males or to eat.

nearly every South American cichlids are ambush predators according to a cichlid documentary i saw a year ago on animal planet.
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

If a South American cichlid stays in a spot then there are not enough dithers in the tank to make them feel safe.
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds