160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

I have had an oscar claim every inch of a 6ft 150 gal tank. Its normal for them to hide while they are getting acclimated to a new environment. Not sure where your getting your info about severums and oscars picking one spot. Trust what the others are telling you. Make it simple do a search on oscar tanks on youtube. Bet you wont find many sitting put. Also most of the tanks will be overcrowded which isnt the way to go
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

I wouldn't trust a documentary on animal planet to be the be-all, end all of cichlid information... I mean, if nothing else a large portion of SA cichlids are herbivorous or omnivorous :whistle:

Cichlids are the darlings of a lot of animal behaviour studies for a reason. If your fish don't move around much I'd be assessing how you keep them (tank size, water quality). What you're describing isn't isn't normal behaviour for any cichlid, provided that they are comfortable in their environment and kept well.

Eg: this is normal behaviour for my fish:
  • Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

Lammergeier wrote: I wouldn't trust a documentary on animal planet to be the be-all, end all of cichlid information... I mean, if nothing else a large portion of SA cichlids are herbivorous or omnivorous :whistle:

Cichlids are the darlings of a lot of animal behaviour studies for a reason. If your fish don't move around much I'd be assessing how you keep them (tank size, water quality). What you're describing isn't isn't normal behaviour for any cichlid, provided that they are comfortable in their environment and kept well.

Eg: this is normal behaviour for my fish:

That's a nice looking tank Lamm, Henry and Co look great. I do have to ask why no background?

Never got round to it DBLN, that's all. It's on the to-do list, but it just kept getting aside for other things (whee, thesis writing) and now I'm just putting it off because I'm really good at procrastinating. I need to get backgrounds sorted for all my tanks :whistle:

I'll hopefully get it done when we finish re-doing the stupid bathroom and laundry and upgrade the RDs to new tanks.
  • Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

"nearly every South American cichlids are ambush predators according to a cichlid documentary i saw a year ago on animal planet."

After this statement, I would strongly recommend that you obtain a book on cichlid behavior/husbandry by a noted author...I would suggest "The Cichlid Aquarium" by Dr. P.V. Loiselle. Animal Planet is most definitely not an accepted source of knowledge for discussion purposes.

Your experiences & statements are yours of course....but to make such blanket & generalized statements about cichlids & generalize their behavior is actually tantamount to starting arguments, & yours are not grounded in accepted cichlid behaviors & in addition have no basis in acknowledged fact. I appreciate you wanting to contribute, & if you wish to learn, there is decades of knowledge available to you on this site, via our members & also the articles contained on this site, & I wholeheartedly encourage you to do so....but please refrain from making such statements, as all they are doing is encouraging arguing, not discussion.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

Lammergeier wrote: Never got round to it DBLN, that's all. It's on the to-do list, but it just kept getting aside for other things (whee, thesis writing) and now I'm just putting it off because I'm really good at procrastinating. I need to get backgrounds sorted for all my tanks :whistle:

I'll hopefully get it done when we finish re-doing the stupid bathroom and laundry and upgrade the RDs to new tanks.

With Darth Vader's (tofkac) tank I am going to experiment with a no-background setting, well using plants as background. The only spot I have for it is in front of a large window and seems a shame to put a backdrop on an not let the light in. He loves the light, too it seems. Least ways he swims ALL OVER THE TANK CONSTANTLY, and does not engage in the stationary snatch and grab behavior that Animal Planet wants us to believe. B)
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

There are times when I wish my oscar would find a spot and settle down. I had to remove all but the heaviest river rocks because he was flipping the others around the tank. I was worried he'd hit the glass and break the tank.

All oscars are different, but it's very unlikely you'll have to worry about one not being busy enough. The only time mine in still is when he's sleeping. When getting an oscar, make sure that he/she is very responsive to you.

A 160 is a nice size. It's good to see someone planning to put oscars in an appropriately large tank. Too often we see people trying to go the other way and stuff them in smaller tanks. Although two oscars by themselves would be good, if I were to choose another fish it would be the silver dollars.

We're getting off topic haha, but I haven't had any problems at all not having backgrounds on my tanks. It detracts a bit from the aesthetics of them but all my fish seem pretty happy for the most part B)

Back on topic: One of the better documentaries I've seen on cichlids was a part of a mini-series called "Mutant Planet" by the Discovery channel. The episode "African Rift Valley Lakes" compares African cichlid social behaviour to that of chimpanzees. I can't find a stream of the full episode but it's really worth tracking down.

• Nailroth
  • Nailroth's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

Nailroth replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

Now this is sorted and i thank you that have given advice on this.

Darth Nandopsis I understand what you are talking about and i know i don't know everything about fish keeping but your comment on me not having any experience with oscars was really not needed, if you are that stupid to think i had any experience with oscar cichlid you need help, if i had experience would i come here asking these sort of questions? that does someone who has no experience at all with a fish, i would not come here to ask for tank mates or tank size for my angels i know what goes with them and i know what their requirments are.

And again i thank you that have answered my questions and everything, thanks to you i can get me oscars that i have waited 5 years to keep.
  • Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 160 Gal oscar (kinda community)

OK. Apparently you do not have a firm grasp of the English language, & are easily offended, and now you resort to the bastion of the uneducated...name-calling. Since your 1st response you have done nothing but start arguments, every one of your posts was designed to start an argument, you offer nothing to this forum, & obviously you do not wish to nor are your here to learn. Going forward, I would suggest you learn how to read, grasp, & comprehend what is being written to you. Good luck on another forum, but you will not be on this one.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds