Substrate opinions

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Substrate opinions

The grains are much smaller than pfs and with fish that stir it up it tends to get in filters more often. That's always been my understanding of it therefore I have always stayed away from it. If you have smaller non digging fish I think it would be fine. I know it looks nice in a tank.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Substrate opinions

I was just curious. I didn't buy it because I feared exactly what you guys are saying. Thanks for confirming. I will steer clear of this also.

• LeafsFan
  • LeafsFan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan replied the topic: Re:Substrate opinions

I got pool filter sand in my 46 that looks nice and seems to be fine it's good for cleaning everything stays on top. I'm not sure the size but the grains are a bit bigger then other sand I seen they use it at the water treatment plant near my house to help filter the water so I when I had a chance to get that I grabbed it and didn't have a problem (still can't decide what I want for my 100 sand or gravel, decisions aren't my strong point)

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Re: Re:Substrate opinions

LeafsFan wrote: I got pool filter sand in my 46 that looks nice and seems to be fine it's good for cleaning everything stays on top. I'm not sure the size but the grains are a bit bigger then other sand I seen they use it at the water treatment plant near my house to help filter the water so I when I had a chance to get that I grabbed it and didn't have a problem (still can't decide what I want for my 100 sand or gravel, decisions aren't my strong point)

Have you decided on the rest of the decor ? Color backround, types of wood, rocks color/size/shapes.... maybe if you nail those down you can figure out your substrate.
Some ideas

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

LeafsFan replied the topic: Re:Re: Re:Substrate opinions

I'm leaning towards dark background with black gravel because I bought the light for my tank yesterday and it is the fluval led strip with the 146 led lights so With how much light I will get from that it would look good with more dark decorations and substrate. Still can't believe the light that the fluval led strip produces.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Substrate opinions

If your going to go with dark gravel only use enough to make a thin layer. To quote jack " less is more" will make gravel cleaning a breeze. I thought an inch thick layer of gravel would be thin enough and ended up removing more than half

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

LeafsFan replied the topic: Re:Substrate opinions

I like the sand but as far as cleaning the gravel I do water changes often anyway so it's not like there will be too much in the gravel because I vacuum it every water change. I probably do water changes more often then I have to. I'm always scared of my oscars water getting bad, I'm nervous of him getting sick.my family laughs at me they say I treat him better then most people treat their dogs ahahaha

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Substrate opinions

Poseidon2.0 wrote: Has anyone tried this Play Sand stuff, which is available at the Home Despot? It is suppose to be safe for aquariums and is dirt cheap (pun intended!) at less than 4 bucks for 50 lbs.

www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-50-lb-Play-Sand-111351/100318476

That's great for sand sifters like geophagus. I wouldn't recommend more than 1". It takes about 15 minutes to rinse half a 2 gallon bucket with water to remove the oil residue. You also have to "comb" it otherwise you get black areas of anaerobic bacteria growth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Substrate opinions

LeafsFan wrote: I like the sand but as far as cleaning the gravel I do water changes often anyway so it's not like there will be too much in the gravel because I vacuum it every water change. I probably do water changes more often then I have to. I'm always scared of my oscars water getting bad, I'm nervous of him getting sick.my family laughs at me they say I treat him better then most people treat their dogs ahahaha

Keep that attitude and maintenance schedule, you will be a very successful Oscar owner. You cant do too many water changes, or keep the tank too clean

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Substrate opinions

I have a bag of pool sand mixed with a bag of national geographic sand, absolutely love it

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds